7. Memory Lane...

Padma aunty's words were ringing in Mira's head for the next few days. Even at work, she was distracted. She didn't know what was going to happen in the next few days and this made her anxious. However, she knew what she had to do before Vikranth left for Boston.

*******

One evening, Mira dialled Vikranth. He answered on the first ring itself as if he was expecting her call.

''Hello ?'' Mira said.

''Mira hey.''

''Vikranth...how are you?''

''I'm alright Mira. How are you though?''

''Yeah I'm fine.''

A moment of awkward silence followed.

''Vikranth you said you wanted to meet me once before...''

''Uhh yeah only if you're-''

''Are you free tomorrow morning?''

''Yeah of course.''

''Okay, I'll share the location, let's meet there at around 11 okay?''

''Sure no problem.''

''Okay see you then.''

''Mira?''

''Yeah?''

''Thank you. This means a lot.''

''Bye Vikranth.'' Mira said and hung up.

*******

The next day morning, Naren had come over to Mira's place to lend her his car.

''Sure you'll manage?'' Naren asked Mira.

''Relax, it's only a few kilometres from here. I'll manage.''

''Okay, dost. And sorry, I would've come but its working hours-''

''Ayee it's fine Naren. And thanks again for lending me your car today.''

''Seriously? You gonna thank me now?'' Naren asked sarcastically. Mira laughed.

Naren gave Mira a hug and took off to catch the bus for work.

*******

Vikranth reached the location Mira had sent a few minutes before 11 am. He looked up at the sign board which read, Angel Children's Village, Bangalore. He stood before the security gate. He waited for the next ten minutes, following which a grey Maruti Alto car approached the gate. The gate opened and the car moved inside. A few minutes later, Mira called him on the phone and asked him to come inside.

Vikranth walked into the entrance of the Children's home after registering himself at the gate. He spotted Mira who was opening the boot of the grey Alto. There were two security guards around her who helped her unload the containers and bags from the boot of the car.

''Vikranth! Here!'' Mira called out and waved to him. Vikranth walked towards Mira. As he approached closer, Mira noticed that he was wearing an olive green mandarin shirt and jeans. Vikranth also took a moment to take in Mira's appearance, she wore a floral pastel blue dress that went down to her knees. It was the first time in a while that Vikranth had noticed Mira smiling pleasantly, her smile was contagious.

''Hey, you made it. Sorry were you waiting long?'' Mira asked.

''Nah, just got here a few minutes ago.'' Vikranth shrugged.

Mira smiled and then gestured to the security guards to keep everything inside.

''Mira. Why are we here? I mean if you have some commitments then we can meet some other time.'' Vikranth said.