bonus - prequel

PREQUEL

There is something about sharing a dorm room with someone that constantly seems to get on my nerves. It isn't because my roommate is annoying, no – she's probably the only friend I have but I value my personal space too much. Growing up, I constantly had to share stuff with my little brother and even though I love him to death, I hated it when he went through my room.

Ashley is quite similar; I had to spend a complete semester reminding her to respect my personal space. I don't blame her, she just thinks that just because she's fine with people looking through her stuff, it works the other way around too. But it doesn't.

My current source of annoyance is my inability to find my favourite pair of leggings that I'm pretty sure Ashley borrowed – again, without my permission – again! I try calling her but it goes straight to voicemail. I shake my head in disappointment but choose to settle on a pair of jeans and a tank top.

It's the weekend and I am already done with my submissions for the next week. Usually, I go down to my parents' house who live just forty-five minutes away from the campus. I haven't visited them in a month so I thought I would go over for a little surprise. After taking a shower and changing into my clothes, I grab my purse to leave.

I'm about to unlock my car when the phone starts ringing. I notice Ashley's name flashing on the screen and immediately pick it up. After putting it on the speaker, I buckle the seatbelt.

"Hey, Lil. I saw you called, what's up?" She sounds slightly stressed which makes me frown.

"Are you okay?"

She sighs on the other end, "No. I don't know. I have a deadline in a couple of hours and haven't completed the assignment yet. I'm at the library. You tell me, what's up?"

That sounds like her. She has always been the one to procrastinate her submissions till the very last minute. Her mood already seems sour and I don't want to disturb her further, so I don't express my annoyance.

"I was looking for my black leggings and couldn't find it," I mention, my voice calm.

"Fuck." She curses. "I'm wearing it right now, I'm sorry."

She sounds genuinely apologetic, "It's fine, Ash. I wore something else and I'm going home for the weekend, okay?"

"Back on Monday?" She asks, her voice relaxing slightly.

"Yes. Let me know if you need me to get anything."

"Yeah, Beth's home-cooked pasta, please!"

I roll my eyes but can't help the smile on my face, "That was already on the list."

"That's it, then. Give Jeremy hugs from me."

I like how I was so annoyed at her just a few minutes ago but now all of it is resolved. I bid her goodbye before hanging up, aware that it will only take another second for her to break out into a huge rant about her pending assignment instead of focusing on it.

She's the only friend I have, but I wish I didn't have walls around me that constantly stopped me from crossing boundaries. I am comfortable around her, but sometimes I wish we were closer. I don't blame her at all, it's completely my fault but maybe I'll get there one day where I can be myself around someone without holding myself back.

When I reach my house, I park out in the driveway and notice that my family is sitting on the front lawn with a few guests. They might just be my father's business clients because sometimes he hosts a lunch for them on weekends to discuss things over in a peaceful setting, away from the rush of the office.

My father's business hasn't been keeping well. I used to visit the office regularly before but recently he tries to hide stuff from me and all the board members seem tense. Something is going on but I haven't had the chance to have the conversation with him peacefully. Although I doubt, he would even confide in me if it's something major.