fifty five

I fell sick.

I didn't call Anna the day I arrived in the city, I was tired so I stayed in but the next day, I gave her a call from work. She was delighted and immediately took me up on the offer to meet. After having dinner with her, we headed to a club for drinks. I was hesitant at first, but then James's voice rang in my head, asking me to enjoy. I barely had three drinks but the next morning, I had a terrible hangover with nausea and I puked my guts out in the toilet.

"Are you sure you're feeling better?" Anna asks me from the couch as I do my hair, nodding from the mirror reflection.

I took two aspirins, a little too embarrassed about having a hangover on a weekday when I'm supposed to be working. "Yes, I feel better after throwing up, surprisingly."

Because of how late it got at night, Anna stayed at the hotel and I'm glad she did. If it weren't for her this morning, I don't know how I would've arranged medicine for myself — I couldn't even call room service.

"Are you sure? You can take a day off, you know. It's not like your husband doesn't own the company." Her remark makes me flinch and she must notice because she quickly speaks up. "I didn't mean it like that, sorry."

I nod, sighing before I turn around to face her. "It's alright. I can't tell him I'm sick, because he would literally come down here."

"Wow. James Clark is whipped." She teases, laughing as she hands me a cup of coffee. "Here, drink this. There are some pancakes over there, it'll help with the hangover."

I nod, scrunching up my nose at the sight of coffee but know that she's right. "Thanks, Anna. You didn't have to do all this."

"Chill, I didn't make it. I just placed the order. Now, are we meeting tonight? There's a small carnival happening next town, we can go there or movies are always an option."

I want to agree, but considering that my head still seems to be spinning, I give her an apologetic look, "I think I'm going to pass. How about lunch tomorrow before I leave?"

She smiles, "Yes, sounds amazing. Send me your location, alright? I'll pick you up."

"Great."

Once we're both ready to leave, Anna goes her way while the company car is ready to take the employees to the branch. I never thought I'll visit a club on my own like I did last night, because I've only visited such places with James. He likes it, but not much. In case people haven't noticed, he's damn moody.

I'm glad when I haven't received a call from him since morning, because the way I sound, he'll be able to tell it in a second that something's wrong. I'm aware he has an important meeting today so I'll call him once I'm back in the room and have gained some energy. Because honestly, it feels like someone has sucked the life out of me.

To keep myself hydrated, I spend the entire day on fluids, wanting to get well before I head home tomorrow. I do miss him; it's been a while since I've gone four days without his presence but I also try to come up with something for James's birthday. Last year I made him some funny cards along with the warm pair of socks, and an audio system installed in our bathroom to have the best shower sex ever.

The cards read,

"I love you with all my boobs. I would say heart, but my boobs are bigger."

"I l ve you. Give me an O tonight."

Pinterest can be a fun place when used for right reasons. James laughed for five minutes straight when he read it before carrying me into the shower. So, I would say I have to top the gifts of last year. I already found a few funny cards to keep the tradition going for this year, but I need to have more gift planned, especially now that I have my own savings. I make a list of ideas before leaving from the office and heading back to the hotel.