forty seven

I'm mixing the batter when I feel a pair of arms around my waist, pulling me back to a toned chest as a surprising shriek escapes me.

"Morning, love." He kisses my neck and a smile takes over my face as I feel the warmth of his body against mine.

"Good Morning." I beam, "You're up early."

"No, actually, you're the one who's up earlier than usual, sleepyhead." He comments before parting away and going behind the island so he's across me. "I didn't feel like working out today."

"Mmm, it'll take me some time to get back to quality sleep." I say before moving to add choco-chips in the batter. "Mrs. George won't be here for another half an hour and I was hungry, my appetite's catching up to me since last night."

"I wonder why." He smirks, his chin resting in his palm as he stares at me, making a blush erupt. "You need to stay healthy."

I nod, knowing that he's absolutely right. My body feels a little drained because of how little I have eaten since past few days and to combine our late night activities with it, it's been asking for some intake. James and I had late dinner last night and stayed up talking about our relationship.

It's safe to say that I'm done crying for at least a month as I had another breakdown last night because of how vulnerable I felt, but not once did he make me feel like I was being too overly-emotional. He just asked me to voice my thoughts and be honest about my emotions, and in return he did the exactly same. I could feel our relationship progressing if this is the path we were going to follow in the long run.

"What do you want to have for breakfast?" I ask, turning on the stove as I move, looking back at him.

"What are you making?" He points to the bowl on the island as I put pan on the stove before putting a little butter on it.

I hesitate a little, sighing as I turn around to look at him. "Pancakes, but I can make anything you want, just name it."

He stares at the bowl, looking a little lost in his thought before focusing his gaze at me, "Pancakes."

His words make me freeze as I look at him in pure surprise, commanding my brain to actually close my parted lips. He continues to stare at me, gauging my reaction as I blink at him, still trying to process.

"James." I begin, not really sure what to actually speak. "I can make you french toast, eggs, waffles, anything you want."

He shakes his head, his forefinger coming to rub the skin under his lip. "Pancakes it is."

"Are you sure?"

He nods, and I sigh, turning to actually make pancakes for the man who hasn't had them for almost two decades now. It makes my heart ache a little for the child in him, who stopped eating a specific food because of how much it reminded him of his mother. In a way it also makes me want to make the best pancakes in the world because I know how much this means to him.

After I'm done making them, I put a plate in front of him as I take a seat across him on the island, setting maple syrup and Nutella in the middle. He looks down at his plate and then back up at me as he picks up the fork and knife. I sit in anticipation, my body refusing to do anything else as I stare at him pour syrup and then cut into a part of it, his eyes away from mine as he takes a bite.

His eyes immediately close as he starts to chew before opening them and meeting mine with so many emotions swirling behind them. He just gives me a small smile that's enough for me to let out a sigh of relief as I lean over the island and he helps by doing the same, placing a peck on my lips.

"Can I ask you something?" I say as I cut into the food and he looks at me, nodding as he finally settles down and eats. "Hale mentioned you have a cabin outside town and you go down there in July every year?"