thirty

It's almost eight and James still hasn't showed up from office. I know sometimes he has to stay back to work late but he always informs me through a text. Carrack and Chloe are out for dinner, as usual. Sometimes I wonder how can someone stay out so much without mental exhaustion but then remember that they both have excellent social skills.

"Mrs. George, you can eat and head to bed, you know? I'm sure he'll be back any minute." I tell her as she waits with me in the living room.

"Are you sure?" She looks a little nervous and I nod, giving her a small smile.

"Yes, absolutely. You've already set the table today, you should rest."

She nods before retreating to the staff quarters and I sigh, my eyes fixed on the front door. There's no doubt that I'm pissed at him but my nerves are also starting to grow as time ticks by. I haven't called him because I didn't want to disturb him if he was busy at office but — to hell with it.

I pick up my phone and call him, hear it ring until it hits voicemail and my nerves just pick up more. I call Mark next because James's Tesla is parked in the garage. He doesn't pick up either and this time I can't seem to sit still as I stand up and start pacing in the living room.

Should I call Amy? She must know where he is, but I don't have her contact number. Wow, I can't believe I'm actually considering calling her. I practice deep breathing exactly like Dr. Wilson taught me, keeping my focus on the breaths to exhale the anxiety running through me. It helps me calm down a little before my eyes move to the front door opening.

James steps in with his jacket in his hand and I immediately rush to him. His eyes meet mine when he catches the movement and he looks a little cautious, making me stop in my track as I try to study his face while he does the same.

"Where were you?" I ask, crossing my arms across my chest and he scowls at me.

"At work. Where else?" He steps closer and my worried nerves resolve to see that he's healthy and in front of me. "What's wrong?"

"You're later than usual and you weren't picking up your call, neither was Mark. I got worried." I gulp, fumbling my fingers as my anger resolves from this afternoon, only hurt left behind.

He walks further into the room, putting his jacket on the couch as he moves towards me, pulling me to his body and I immediately wrap my arms around him, breathing him in. "I'm okay, Lil. I got stuck up with the paperwork, my phone is on silent. Mark keeps his phone on do not disturb while driving. I am fine."

I nod, taking in a staggering breath before taking a step back to look at him. "C'mon, dinner's getting cold."

We move to the dining table as he takes a seat across me and fills his plate with beans as I just stare at him, trying to introspect my own emotions. He looks a little tired and I wonder what he's thinking about. When he passes me the bowl, his eyes meet mine and he studies my face.

"Are you still mad?" He asks as he starts eating and I shrug, doing the same. "I don't know what that means, I need more than that."

I keep my eyes fixed on the plate as I move a bean with my fork. "I don't know if I am. Have you thought about what I said?"

"You really want me to hire someone else?" The surprise in his voice makes me frown as I stare up, not sure why he thinks I wasn't serious about it earlier.

"That or we can stay here." My voice is firmer than it ever has been and he gives me an incredulous look, making my scowl deeper.

"You're being extremely irrational," He says, making me drop my fork as I sit back a little in the chair. "The agency's architecture team has worked on the entire apartment, I can't just fire someone because you have a problem with them."