forty four

I had assumed that a break down would follow upon seeing him, but as he stands in front of me, all my anger surfaces with the pain lingering just behind it, pushing the rage further. He looks tired, his hair are a mess and his shoulders are slouched and that's the most exhausted I've ever seen him in past half year.

"Lillian." He calls out again, thankfully not stepping any closer as I clench my fists and bite my tongue to soften the tightness I feel in my throat. "Let's go, we've got a lot to talk about."

"How did you know I was here?" I manage to ask, my tone cold and he frowns at me.

"The GPS in your car." He says like it's the most obvious explanation in the world.

"Oh, damn. Did I forget to disconnect that?" I glare at him, my voice dripping with sarcasm and he looks taken aback by my words. For the first time, James's expressions forms into helpless one and I scoff, shaking my head as I turn around.

"At least listen to me." He starts to step inside but I shoot him a look.

"Don't. I'm just going to grab my stuff so we can leave without creating a scene here."

I've never felt so angry in my entire life as I do right now at James, and I don't think I've ever had enough guts to stand up to him like that because before we never had a bond, so I felt like he didn't owe me explanations or his actions shouldn't concern me, but knowing what we are, realising that we share something and his recent behaviour really seem to have fucked this up.

When Caleb sees me picking up my bag, he arches an eyebrow, "You're leaving, seriously?"

I sigh, nodding, "Need to give him a chance to explain, right?"

He must realise what I'm saying because he was pretty much in James's shoes not very long ago. Both Austin and him give me a quick hug which I return before turning to walk to the door where James is waiting, leaning against the frame.

Austin turns to me, "You call us anytime, okay? The hour doesn't matter. I'll come pick you up if needed."

"Thanks, Aus." I kiss his cheek before turning to James who extends his hand forward for me to take but I just walk past him to elevator, hearing him groan loudly behind me.

I'm glad when he doesn't try to talk to me in the elevator but he doesn't take his eyes off me, probably boring a hole on the side of my head with that intense gaze. It only pushes me off further as my heart clenches with pain.

When we exit the building, he silently follows me to the car and I turn to him, "How did you get here?"

"Hale." I nod, pulling out the car keys and putting the palm upward for him to take. "You want me to drive?"

"Unless you want to end up in a hospital somewhere, then yes."

He takes the key and unlocks the car, his body moving to open the door for me when I do it myself, making him take a step back. I don't miss the way his jaw clenches in reaction but he doesn't say a word as he comes around to take the driver's seat.

Being in such a close proximity with him makes the hurt emerge, making me fist my hands because I really don't want to cry right now. He turns to me but I sink back in the seat, looking out of the window which should be enough hint for him that I'm not speaking to him until we're home.

The ten minutes ride back to the apartment complex is more agonising than I could've ever imagined. He kept sighing beside me while I kept shifting in the seat to calm my rage because I didn't want to explode and say things I didn't mean.

It was two in the afternoon already. I think I slept for an hour at Caleb and Austin's place and that's the most sleep I've gotten since yesterday. When he parks the car, I immediately step out and hear him curse as he follows behind me.