fifty

James's POV

"There has to be a way to get him to agree to it, it is a great deal that would honestly increase the productivity if we just make use of better technology." Jack, senior engineer at the company explains while Elena nods along.

"Is there supposed to be cost cut back?" I look over the file as my eyes search for the budget which doesn't match well with their words. They exchange a look amongst themselves before changing the slide to that of a bar graph. I read it carefully as Elena starts speaking up.

"Not immediately, no. It would first impact the productivity, like Jack already mentioned, and in a year the cost cutback would begin, as you can follow the graph."

My finger moves across the chin as I continue to rub the stubble on my face, taking in their words and presentation. "It's going to be hard to get Dad's approval on this, you know he likes immediate results. And even if he agrees, what's to say the rest of them would?"

We're in the conference room having a meeting regarding the new machinery products to be employed for the biodegradable plant that we've invested in couple of months back. Jack has with him a team to present the new plan he's discovered while Elena is handling the finance regarding the same.

"It's Carrack that you've got to get on board, if the two of you are on the same page, you know the rest can be handled." Elena reminds me, and I nod.

"I'll convince him once I'm convinced, so get on with it." I motion for Jack's associate and she stands up before looking at her partner to start.

The next hour goes in a blur of them explaining things to me as I try to wrap my head around it. It sounds promising to some extent, but I know my father wouldn't see it that way. He likes to stick to old ways at times, and it creates conflicts to have him on the same team to move forward with decisions.

"When do you want to hold a meeting with Mr. Clark regarding this?" Elena asks me as we move out of the conference room.

She walks alongside me while Eve, my assistant tries to keep up with us. "Let me talk to him off record first, and then we can decide."

"Very well, then."

"How's her last day coming along?" I dare ask her, and her eyes shoot up in surprise because she knows exactly what I'm talking about, despite the fact that I've never brought her up in any of our conversations.

"She's done well, but you already know that." She gives me a small smile.

Before I can respond to her, Eve catches upto me. "Sir, Mr. Alfred's waiting for you in your office, and I'm afraid that I haven't able to secure a reservation for tonight."

I frown at her words as Elena dismisses herself. "Well, did you put in my name as a reference?"

She looks like the idea never occurred to her and gives me a rather sheepish look. "Right, I'll get onto it."

"Can you get someone to provide me a cup of coffee and some tea for Mr. Alfred?"

"Of course, Mr. Clark."

Alex passes me a small smile as I turn the hallway to make my way to the office where I know it would take at least another hour to discuss the proceedings with Alfred Industries. When I enter the room, he's waiting with a colleague of his, making me feel annoyed at Eve for not mentioning him.

"Clark." He stands up, extending his hand to shake while I do the same.

"Alfred." I add a pinch of smile along then look at his colleague who has never joined us for a meeting before.