thirty nine

James and I spent the rest of the weekend at home, without stepping out even once. He did cater to some business calls once in a while but mostly we were too busy in each other. He kept his promise and showed me around the entire apartment, much more than showed.

"Yes, Amy, I need that file on my desk before I reach. There's a meeting at noon and I need to go through it before that." He speaks into the phone as I look at myself in the mirror.

I'm wearing a beige skirt with black blouse as my hairs are falling in their natural waves behind my back. I put on a thin liner before stepping into the heels. My offer letter came to me on Friday itself and I responded to it after breakfast on Saturday, accepting the intern position at Clark Enterprise and today's supposed to my first official day.

James is frowning on Monday morning as usual, trying to keep up with the work before even stepping a foot in that building. I try to stay out of his hair in order to not annoy him further as he barks more instructions in the phone, feeling a little sorry for Amy. I have no idea how she keeps up with his schedule.

When I step in the kitchen, leaving James to get ready in the bedroom, Mrs. Jones is making waffles and I smile at her, "Good Morning."

"Morning, Lillian. Breakfast?" She asks and I nod, taking a seat at the island as she offers me a plate.

I indulge right into it, not wanting to be late on the first day as I go through any mails on my phone but there isn't any other important information. James joins in the kitchen ten minutes later, buttoning his cufflinks as he slides on the stool next to me before pulling out his phone to type a text.

It annoys me a little that his work starts so early but then I try to understand the responsibilities he has. Mrs. George offers him toast and fruits as per his breakfast chart.

"Mrs. George, you don't have to make different food for us. Whatever you make for him is fine by me." I tell her for future reference and she nods in acknowledgment.

James eats his breakfast while continuing to type on his phone and I sigh, not realising how audible it was and he looks up at me.

"What?"

"Work-life balance." I remind him.

He scowls at me in response, "We aren't in bed."

I purse my lips, not responding to him because I don't want to spoil my mood after spending such a great weekend with him. I put my dishes in the sink, deciding to wash them after coming back as Mrs. George offers me a glass of milk before disappearing to probably indulge in other tasks.

"We'll stop by the clinic tomorrow for testing, is that okay?" James asks and I nod, finishing the contents of glass.

"Yeah, I don't want to be late on my first day anyway." I move to pick up the packed lunch. My stuff is already in the living room so I keep it in my bag before moving to pick the key to my new car.

James steps out of the kitchen and pulls onto his jacket lying on the couch as he finally pushes his phone in the pocket. "Come, Mrs. George will leave after she's done with the work. Reece is waiting downstairs."

"Reece?" I frown.

"The new driver." He comments like I'm supposed to know these things without him telling me.

"You have to keep me in loop more." He looks taken aback by my tone and words but doesn't argue, just nods. "Do we have to go together? I don't want to catch that much attention."

He sighs, running a hand through his hair as he looks at me. "Yes, I don't understand why you have to drive separately when we're going to the same place at the same time. We're married, it shouldn't be that big of a deal."