fifty six

James's POV

I haven't seen her for four days, and it seems like torture as it is without getting stuck in traffic on my way to pick her up. Reece offered to drive me, but I wanted to spend time with her alone on the way back. She doesn't say it but I know she prefers when it's just the two of us, her body speaks for her.

It seems surreal to say this, but I've been happily married for almost two years now. I never thought I would use the term 'happily' and 'married' together, but love does weird shit to your life.

To top the running late, I haven't spoken to her since morning. With Alex's absence, I had to manage a board presentation all alone with a follow-up quarterly report. Elena was there, sure, but it's Alex who handles this stuff. That's another surprise, my best friend is hitched to the company's CFO.

I did see Lillian's text and was going to respond to her before my father called me for the meeting. The moment I got free from the work, I rushed to leave to get to the airport. She'll understand it, I'm sure. Somehow, she always does.

When I finally reach after a string of curses, I pull out my phone and give her a call. At first, she doesn't pick up which worries me to hell but then I receive a text of her location which makes me frown.

Once I park, I immediately spot her. I move out of the car, my body moving on instinct as I rush to her, but my excitement dies down the moment I see her face. There's no trace of smile on her face as she looks at me.

"You're late."

Fuck. She's pissed. Nonetheless, I move to her and place a peck on her cheek as she half-heartedly returns my hug. This is not how I imagined meeting her after spending last few days in torture.

"I know, I'm sorry. There was too much traffic," I apologise, meaning it as I take her luggage to keep it in the trunk.

She doesn't say a word to me before taking a seat in the car and I get in the driver's side, turning to her, sighing as the relief washes over me to have her so close to me. She looks tired, like really tired and upset.

"How pissed are you?" I ask, starting the car as I reach out for her hand, grateful when she doesn't pull back. But that doesn't sound like her, she never pulls away from my touch unless she's too damn pissed over something I did. And I haven't managed to do anything close to that in past one year or more, so that's good. She does, however, ignore my question completely. "Lil, talk to me."

"You didn't respond to one single text, James. I called you, you didn't pick up and I—" she looks away, outside the window before sighing and turning towards me again before continuing, "I don't like reaching out to Eve to know whether my husband is alive or dead."

"I know, I know," I quickly say, keeping my eyes fixed on the road as I glance at her, "I'm sorry, I had another meeting today, had to cover up for Alex. It has just been a long day, and I'm not making excuses but I'm sorry. I haven't seen you in four days, and I really can't stand you being mad at me right now."

Her eyes soften a little, igniting hope that this can be resolved right now. She nods at my words, giving my hand a little squeeze, "Okay."

"Okay?" I ask, confirming and she nods again. "How was the flight?"

"Tiring." She shrugs, relaxing back in the seat more. "I feel like I haven't slept in forever."

She looks tired too, more than her usual lack of sleep tired which makes me worry about her. "Are you in pain?"

She shakes her head and I nod, happy that her periods aren't screwing up with her health this time. "Jeremy's coming home tomorrow."

"That's good, Joan too?" I ask, trying to catch up on what I've missed in the last four days.