fifty nine

"Max and I broke up." Her voice cracks a little as she tugs her hair behind her ear. "I didn't know who else to go to, you know? The rest are his friends first."

"Hey, hey!" I wrapped my warm jacket tighter around me. "You don't have to think like that. If we're speaking the truth, Austin loves you more than anyone else."

She offers me a weak smile, sniffing. "I know, I just— it was the right thing to do. We'd been fighting so much."

I nod, giving her hand a light squeeze. No one from our group of friends could say that we didn't see this coming. It was obvious, given how much apart they had grown since they started working at different places.

However, it did come as a surprise when she called me at six in the morning to meet up. We are sitting at the diner near our college, this was the place where I first met Caleb, Austin and Natalie. When my phone rang so early, James freaked out a little but then he got up to work-out while I got ready to meet her.

"Was it peaceful?" I ask, sipping on the hot chocolate, something I've started consuming a lot since my pregnancy. It's just the cravings. They get to me a lot, given that James finds it absolutely hilarious which always earns him a glare.

Ashley nods, wiping her tears as she bites on the pancake. "There was a lot of crying, because it's not like just because things were bad we didn't feel anything. We both still do, but love is never enough to keep things going."

"Of course, Ash. I completely understand, I just wish it wasn't this hard for you both."

She offers me a weak smile. "Heartbreaks are a real bitch, man."

"Do you want to drown your sorrows in alcohol?"

"Yes." She sighs but then gives me a look. "And you aren't the person for that. I'll call Austin at night. How's the bug?"

Her eyes are fixed on my belly and I smile a little. "Growing fast, I believe. I can't wait to meet this little one."

"I think this is only happy thing I have going in my life right now, and it's your kid." She smiles, a genuine one and I grin at her.

"Honestly, I'm afraid how much of a brat this one would become within couple of years. James already has everything planned." I rub my hand over my belly almost subconsciously.

She laughs a little. "Let me guess, bug's already going to Ivy league, huh?"

"Little one would do whatever he or she likes. I'll deal with the father." I roll my eyes and she smiles, nodding.

I'm now almost thirteen weeks along. James has such a fun time talking to my belly which has started to show a little. We told our friends just the next day after telling our parents. It came as a shock to everyone, but they've all been so wonderfully supportive, it's been overwhelming.

"I was thinking of heading home for a while," Ashley tells me, and I give her a curious look because she has never headed back home apart from the holidays. She has a messed-up family, so she tries to stay out of their business.

"Are you sure you need that right now in your life?"

"I think they are the only ones who can keep me safe at the moment, honestly."

I give her a small smile, nodding. We talk for another hour as she tells me how exactly Max and her tried to avoid the breakup for so long now but it was inevitable. She spilled good amount of tears and my heart ached for her, because I didn't know what could I do to help her feel better.

"Isn't it going to be awkward to go back up there?" I ask, parking the car near her apartment building and she looks out the window, shaking her head before meeting my eyes.