fifty four

The door to the hall opens as the bride starts to enter, her wedding dress is one of the most beautiful one I've ever laid eyes on as she holds the bouquet of orchids and white roses in her hand. She was so particular about what she wanted, and she has fretted over the wedding for six months now, since the night he proposed.

My eyes move to the groom and his gaze seems to be hooked to hers, filling up at the sight of her walking down the aisle and it leaves me in absolute awe. From him, my eyes meet the best man, his stare hooked to mine. His lips slowly curve into a slight smile, making the heat rise in my cheeks.

Almost two years of being married to him, yet every day seems like a surprise when your husband is James Peter Clark. The rest of the ceremony goes beautifully, with the couple shedding a few tears when the priest announces them as husband and wife.

"Lil," I hear my mom when we start to move for reception.

I turn around to find my parents and immediately rush to give them a hug, "Oh good, you made it!"

"Of course, he was very precise that he wants his second pair of in-laws to be here," my father speaks, making me laugh.

"She looked beautiful, Natalie did a good job," Mom compliments and I immediately agree with her.

"Right?" I emphasise, "She's so damn good at this, excelling well."

I engage in a conversation with my parents until I feel an arm around my waist, the touch more familiar to me than my own emotions at times as he pulls me closer to himself. He only glances at me before turning towards my parents. I'm a little nervous and hesitant every time my father and James speak now, because they hit a rocky road more than a year back.

My father had blabbered about the deal to Liam which led to a dispute between James and him. From what I heard, James was respectful to my father until he was accused of cheating on me, and that's when the shit hit the fan. Dad apologised to him a week later, but I know James isn't very easily forgiving. So, now he tolerates my father's presence for my sake.

"How are you both?" He asks, a small smile on his face.

"Good, good. Sorry that Jeremy couldn't make it," my mother speaks and I give her an assuring look.

"That's okay, Beth. He'll meet them once he comes home," James tells her and she nods. He gives my father an acknowledging nod before turning towards me. "We should head to the reception. I have to give a toast."

"Yes." I smile at him before turning towards my parents. "I'll catch up with you later."

I give them both a hug before taking James's hand in mine and finding our way to another hall that's holding the reception. He turns to me with a smirk, his eyes finally taking me in, "You look decent for a dress that hideous."

"Wow, thanks." I laugh, swatting his shoulder. "She picked it out herself."

"She's got a horrible choice, look at whom she married. It doesn't matter though; you can pull off anything with that face."

His words make my cheeks heat as I smile at him. "Always so charming, Mr. Clark."

"Just trying to impress you, Mrs. Clark." He smirks as we enter the hall and run into Natalie.

She's drinking champagne when spots us and immediately rushes over to give me a hug, "Oh my god, this is some bigass wedding."

Her words make me laugh as I return her embrace before she parts away and gives James a side hug. My friends over the years have learned to be civil with James without letting his intimidating aura make things awkward.