seven

I have no idea why James got me enrolled into college, but I am not complaining at all because I would do anything to get away from this house, especially in the morning. Pertaining to the previous events, I keep the bathroom vacant for James in the morning but that also serves as my excuse to skip breakfast with everyone.

For the whole weekend, I keep my distance from the Clark family, including Chloe. I have no idea what she has against me, but I am not about to be caught up in whatever drama she has been entertaining in her mind.

When Monday morning arrives, I wake up earlier than usual to take a shower before James because I don't want to be late for the first lecture. I already looked up the class schedule online and even though it's second semester of Junior Year and I have been to that college so many times, I feel the nervous jitters go through me.

I dress myself in black jeans and a light blue blouse with semi sleeves before I brush through my hair and let them fall past my shoulders. I push a binder in my bag which I got on the weekend once I knew I'll be starting classes.

My laptop with all the college docs is still back at home that I need to get along with my clothes. Maybe I'll go there after I get free from college today.

When I reach downstairs in the kitchen, Mrs. George smiles at me, "First day, huh?"

I smile, because I am glad me going to college isn't some kind of secret in this house and that everyone has accepted it normally.

"Yeah, can I have a glass of milk?" I ask and she pushes a tray towards me.

It's filled with a fruit plate including a bread toast. I give her a thankful smile before having my breakfast and she gets busy with making breakfast for everyone else. I heard the shower running when I was getting ready so I am aware James would be downstairs in a while as well.

When I am done eating, I pick up my stuff and leave the kitchen. To my surprise, James is already sitting, reading the newspaper and Carrack is nowhere in sight.

A part of me wants to just storm out of here because I haven't really talked to James after he threw that money shit in my face. It was a low blow and even he must know that. I am about to leave when I hear him clearing his throat and as our eyes meet, I realise that I have been caught up in my thoughts for a while.

"Are you headed out?" He asks and I nod.

"College, remember?"

He must've forgotten about it because realisation takes over his features as he folds the newspaper and stands up, "I'll tell Mark to drop you."

I shake my head, "No, it's less than fifteen minutes from here, I can get a cab." I protest because I don't want to show up with a driver.

He frowns, "You can take a car yourself if that's more comfortable for you."

I am about to protest when he stands up and starts walking out of the house. I sigh, following behind him silently as I look at the watch and realise that if I don't leave now, I am definitely going to be late.

When James turns left after getting out of the house, I remember his words about the garage. As we reach there, he presses his thumb on the finger print which opens the entrance.

Holy shit.

I am not a car enthusiast but having four sleek cars in your garage is too much even for him. He looks back at me, "You got a preference?" He asks and I shake my head because I am too afraid to even take this on the road.

He nods, and turns to a SUV but I immediately speak up, "Can't drive that." I say and he frowns at me.

"Alright, then, pick." He says.