twenty

I didn't go downstairs for dinner. Mrs. George came to call me but I told her I wasn't hungry. I'm sure James must've informed her he found me upstairs. I apologised to her for worrying her but she just brushed it off with her kind smile and told me that the elevator was working again.

So last night, I cried. I cried until I had to cover my face with a pillow to hide my sobs because of what happened with Richard, I cried because I'm almost twenty one and I'm not supposed to be crying over the fact that my husband left me alone right after he kissed me for the first time.

The only time James has been that close to me was during the wedding, when he kissed the corner of my lips. I have no idea what goes on in that head of his but I just want some peace for once and not complications. I'm good with pretending we don't exist to each other as long as I can get peace.

That might not be completely true because every time I think about his lips against mine, tears surface in my eyes. I don't like feeling this vulnerable about another person, and knowing that the person is James Clark doesn't help at all.

I get ready for college wearing denim shorts for a change since the temperature just keeps going up with a plain black t-shirt. It has taken me so much inner debate get up from bed today, to actually convince myself that I couldn't miss any more lectures than I already had.

Sighing I pick up my bag and make my way out of the room. Just as I close the door behind me I look at James's figure and he seems to be dressed up for office, and my breath catches in my throat. He turns the corner of the hallway and I stand frozen in my spot, grateful that he didn't see me.

I take the stairs as I go downstairs, praying that I don't run into him so I decide to skip breakfast to avoid being in his presence. I can hear the voices from the kitchen as I rush out of the main door and pray to god that the car isn't blocked by anything else.

My prayers for once come true as I immediately get into the car before driving away. I make sure to put my phone on ringer in case Mrs. George calls me. It's weird that I have skipped two meals and I'm not even remotely hungry.

When I reach the college, a little earlier than usual, I make my way to the cafeteria to get myself a sandwich in order to keep my body moving. It is already buzzing with students rushing to get coffee and I run into Caleb, his red hair sticking out in the crowd.

"Hey." He grins at me, moving to give me a quick hug and I return it.

"Morning." I smile at him, "I skipped my breakfast so just rushing to get a sandwich."

"From here?" He points to the counter and I nod which makes him roll his eyes. "C'mon. We'll go eat in that favourite diner of yours."

He's speaking about the coffee shop and I immediately smile at him. "Where's Austin?"

"Max and him are working on their part of the project in library. I already did my part." He explains as we make our way to the coffee shop.

He casually talks about the assignment and I listen patiently. Honestly, the moment he gave me a hug, I felt like I would break down but I've been trying to keep it together. When we reach the coffee shop, or as Caleb calls it diner, he opens the door for me which chimes as we enter.

We take a seat by the window and a cute waitress comes to take our orders. I order a hot chocolate for myself and pancakes, while Caleb orders coffee along with waffles.

"So, what's wrong?" He asks and I stare at him, arching an eyebrow, "C'mon. You have dark circles under your eyes, and they are so swelled. You've obviously been crying."

"That obvious?" I ask as the waitress sets down our cups and food and I sip on it before mumbling a thank you to her.

He shrugs, "Kinda."