Steve | In These Moments Part 3

You began yawning. It must've been midnight and Steve still hadn't left Peggy's tent. You were suspicious, hurt and annoyed. You wanted to hurt him bad.

You heard a giggle before Steve walked out with her, smiling and holding her hand. He let go only to give her a hug and went off to his tent.

You waited a bit before deciding to go and commence operation 'get him back'. You cringed at the pun. Not only were you going to get him back relationship wise, you were going to get him back to the right century.

"(Y/N)!" Peggy called out. You froze before turning back to face her, smoothing out your army uniform.

"Yes... Hi..." Even to your own ears you sounded lame.

She frowned for a second. "I'm sorry, did I get your name wrong?" You hated her and were tempted to cuss at her, but the social side to you prohibited it.

"No," you said, smiling. "You got it right."

She let out a laugh of relief. "Oh that's good..." There was a bit of an awkward silence before she added, "Steve won't tell me how you met. If you're not tired yet, we could have some supper if you'd like."

"I..." You wanted to say no, but a little bit inside you said you wanted to say yes. You wanted to know what your competition was like because after all, keep your friends close, and your enemies closer. "Sure."

*****

You sat on a chair with Peggy siting opposite you, the both of you munching on some cookies that had been sent in. You picked up the cup that had some tea in it and sipped it. The warmth was nice.

"So, how did the two of you meet?" she asked.

You shrugged. "It's a pretty boring story."

She shook her head. "Oh please do tell."

You nodded, trying to scramble together a believable story. You thought long and hard about American history. Nothing. Not a single thing. "Well uh..." You'd flunked history and now karma was being a bitch. "Uh... New York!"

She looked at you in surprise. "New York! Amazing. In such a big city you managed to meet each other." So she was a hopeless romantic? The thoughts of her never finding love swirled in your mind.

"Yes. Yes it was..." She was eating your story up. Thank god.

"So how did it happen?"

You thought back to when you'd met him after Tony had decided to pick you as an intern.

"Work..."

"You worked together? But Steve never had a proper job until the army... Are you a soldier too?"

Oh crap. "Uh, no. I was working... And he walked in and we got talking."

She giggled. "Sounds romantic."

"Huh? I mean, yeah!"

You both sipped tea, feeling the awkwardness.

You cleared your throat. "So, you and Steve, huh?"

She smiled, smug but humble. "Yes. Not many people know. No think Howard's caught on. I'm so glad he didn't leave."

You nodded. "So you're dating?"

"Oh gosh no."

Confusion swept through you. "So you're not dating?"

"Well I suppose we should be..."

You nodded, faking a yawn. "Thank you so much for supper... I'm awfully tired.

She smiled. "Absolutely. Thank you for accompanying me. And telling me your story. It was lovely." She was good at lying.

You smiled. "It's alright." You stood up, fixing your clothes. "Good night."

"Good night," she replied.

You walked out, faking another yawn. When you got into your tent, you found Steve sitting on the bed next to yours.

You were taken aback. "What are you doing here?" you asked, going to sit on your bed, opposite to him.

He sighed and took your hand, uncurling your fingers. "I'm sorry," he said. He put the remote in your palm.