Chapter 5: Super-nanny

When Scarlett was helping out a storekeeper in town when she got a text message from Hayley

When Scarlett was helping out a storekeeper in town when she got a text message from Hayley. Hayley was the last person she thought would text her. Hayley needed Scarlett to run out and get her food for the house because they were running out. Scarlett told Hayley that she was there whenever she needed her so, she couldn't break her promise now.

Scarlett ran all over town with her vampire speed and shopped for Hayley. She looked up pregnancy cravings online and tried finding some of the stuff for the cravings.

After her long shopping, she made her way to the Mikaelson Mansion with a stolen shopping cart. Since she was invited in the house, she opened the door on her own and pushed the shopping cart inside. Looking up from the cart, she saw the others inside.

"When I said food, I meant like a bag, but hey! I'm not complaining." Hayley said impressed at what Scarlett had done.

"Scarlett, what are you doing here?" Klaus asked the brunette, genuinely confused.

"I brought food for Hayley." Scarlett answered.

"Hey, she can be super-nanny instead!" Rebekah suggested, grateful at the girl's arrival. "She's already prepared."

"Super-nanny?" Scarlett repeated Rebekah's words.

"I'm sure Scarlett has plans-"

"No, I don't have plans." Scarlett cut Klaus off, looking at him smugly before looking to Hayley. "Let's do this."

...

Throughout the day, Hayley had been feeling random pain. The two girls guessed that the pain was from her link to Sophie.

Hayley laid in bed as Rebekah and Scarlett blot sweat from her forehead and chest with a washcloth. "Stop fussing, will you? Elijah will be here any minute."

"I feel like I've been microwaved." Hayley groaned, squirming in the bed.

"Hey! Just because you're carrying a baby doesn't mean you get to act like one!" Rebekah scolded the werewolf lightly. "I'm sure my little niece is healing you up as we speak."

Elijah ran into the room with Sophie, Sophie immediately frightened at the sight of Scarlett. "Scarlett, I'm-"

"I'm not going to tell Marcel." The hybrid assured her. "Just fix whatever's happening to her."

"I may know a way to slow the fever down. But, I'm gonna need some special herbs." Sophie informed them all. She turned to Rebekah, frightened to ask Scarlett. "I'll text you a list."

Elijah nodded at her while Rebekah did not look pleased to be being ordered around again. She eventually relents and smiles at them patronizingly. "Fine. Happy to play the fetch girl."

Rebekah marched out of the room, brushing past Elijah and shoving the washcloth she was using into Elijah's chest. Scarlett looked away from the scene and looked to Hayley with a comforting smile. "Hey, if she can't fix this, I can. You are going to be alright."

Hayley nodded, doubting Scarlett a bit but also having the slightest bit of hope.

...

Scarlett wrapped Hayley in a towel, keeping her from the cold outside as she sat beside the swimming pool. Rebekah stood behind her, checking her temperature while Elijah assists Sophie in helping with the herbs. He shrugged off his jacket and rolled up his sleeves, rushing over to Hayley. "She's burning up! We need to do this now."

"Get her in the water!" Sophie commanded.

Elijah jumped into the pool first before holding Hayley as he helped her in.

"I don't see how a midnight swim is supposed to help." Rebekah voiced her concern.

Sophie mixed the herbs in a cup. "Her temperature is sky-high. The water, with the help of the herbs, should cool us down." She followed the two into the water and handed Hayley the herbal concoction. "Drink this!" Hayley yanked the drink out of Sophie's hands and chugged it down as Sophie looked to Elijah. "You're going to have to get her heart rate down."

"How do you suggest I do that?" The Original questioned.

"Hold her. It's a natural human remedy to slow the heart rate and reduce blood pressure." She assured him.

Rebekah stood by the pool beside Scarlett with her arms folded over her chest, watching the scene. "This is never gonna work."

Elijah lifted Hayley into his arms, holding her bridal-style in the pool. "Davina will break the link, we just need time."

Hayley clinged onto Elijah for dear life and groaned as she gasped for breath. They all watched in panic as she hyperventilated. "I can't breathe!"

"Okay, long deep breaths, Hayley! Look at me. Long deep breaths, just focus on the sound of my voice." Elijah assisted her, lowering his voice along the way to calm her down. "You'll be okay. You'll be okay.

Suddenly, Hayley screamed in pain and thrashed around in Elijah's hold. Heads turn when Sophie started to gasp as the linking spell began to lift. In the pool, Sophie looked up at the sky, looking almost disappointed. "I just felt it lift."

Rebekah and Scarlett sighed in relief, watching as Hayley started to calm down. Hayley stood up on her own, but still leaned against Elijah, still weak from the spell. Sophie removed one of her earrings and poked her palm with it. Hayley looked at her palm to see if there were any markings only for there to be none.

Elijah held her hand while him and Hayley stared at each other for a long moment. Rebekah and Scarlett noticed their shared glances and looked to one another, knowing what was happening. Elijah quickly let go of Hayley's hand and led the werewolf out of the pool. "Come on, let's go."

"Elijah..." Sophie called to him. Elijah let go of Hayley, letting her get out of the pool on her own while he spoke to the witch. "As soon as your brother finds out that the link is broken, he'll kill Agnes. I know you don't owe me anything, but please, don't let him kill her." Elijah zoomed out of the pool with his vampire speed and pulled his phone out of his jacket pocket. "Elijah! She's our only access to the power we need to survive. Promise me that you'll stop him!"

Elijah ignored her and dialed a number into his phone before raising it to his ear. "It's me, where are you? ... Don't hurt her. I'll be there shortly." He hung up the phone before he turned to Sophie. "I'll make you one last promise. I won't let my brother kill Agnes."

Sophie nodded at him gratefully. Elijah picked up both his jacket and his shoes before he walked away. Sophie and Hayley turned to get out of the pool when Hayley stopped Sophie at the steps. "I know you were just using me to save your people, but try it again, and I'll kill you."

...

Scarlett sat in the Mikaelson Mansion, waiting to say goodbye to Hayley when someone walked into the room. She lifted her head to see Rebekah who held a polite smile on her face.

"Hey, Rebekah." Scarlett greeted. "What's going on?"

"Everything's fine now." Rebekah assured her. "I just wanted to thank you for today. It means a lot to us that you care so much for Hayley."

"Yeah, of course." Scarlett nodded, getting out of her chair.

"I also wanted to say goodbye." The Original admitted. "I'm leaving town. Now that I know Elijah's okay, I don't need to stay."

"Oh." Scarlett sighed. She didn't know the blonde well but she was going to miss her.

"Listen, my brother truly cares about you." Rebekah brought up. "I know he has a strange way of showing it but... it's his way, I guess. Just... try to forgive him."

Scarlett nodded, agreeing to consider it. Rebekah turned on her heel to walk away but paused, turning back to ths other girl. "Goodbye, Scarlett."

"Goodbye, Rebekah."

With that, Rebekah vanished from her sight. Scarlett sighed before leaving the mansion herself.