Chapter 23: The Hunt

The All Hallows Eve party raged on in the streets as Scarlett helped one of the store workers

The All Hallows Eve party raged on in the streets as Scarlett helped one of the store workers. She was hanging up one of the signs that they needed help with when she heard a voice. "Hello, love."

She sighed heavily, seeing the worker's eyes wander elsewhere. She turned around to see Klaus standing there with his classic smirk on his face. "I'm sorry to interrupt your evening but I need your help."

"Klaus, respectfully... no."

"Come on, love!" He pleaded, following her around like a lost puppy. "I just need you to call Davina, I found out she's conspiring against me and brought my father back from the dead."

Scarlett processed Klaus' words for a moment. "You suck! I was supposed to have fun today!"

"I'm sorry about ruining your plans, love but can you really resist me?" Klaus flirted, adding a wink at the end.

"Shut up before I wipe that annoying yet attractive smirk off your face." She threatened.

Klaus backed away, putting his hands up in defense as Scarlett called Davina. She held the phone to her ear until the consistent ringing stop. "Davina! Hey! I've been trying to get a hold of you for days!"

"I know, I should have called you back. I didn't want you to worry." Davina spoke sadly. "I just... things are complicated."

Scarlett heard Davina's words, knowing something was wrong. "Yeah, well, word on the streets- and, by streets, I mean Josh- is that you've gone totally MIA. Seriously, are you okay? Where are you?"

"I'm fine. I'll be back soon, I promise." Davina responded, adding more mystery. "And... thanks for calling. It's good to hear your voice. Happy birthday."

Davina hung up the phone on Scarlett before Scarlett could even say anything. She sighed heavily before turning back to Klaus. "Well, you heard her, clearly. She didn't say where she was!"

"Oh, on the contrary, love. You just had to know how to listen." Klaus began. "For instance, I heard cicadas, and I heard tans, but the real giveaway was the church bells. Did you know Davina's family owns a little cabin in Terrebonne Parish? It's been abandoned for years! But, a brief glimpse at a map showed its just a mile from the loveliest little chapel."

Scarlett's nose scrunched up in disgust. "How the hell did you know that?"

"I do my research." Klaus replied proudly.

Scarlett's eyebrows furrowed at his words as she stared at him in disappointment. "That's creepy, Klaus."

"It may be but I need to find her so let's go."

...

"Pull over here." Scarlett pointed to the bar on the side of the road.

Klaus obliged and pulled over into the parking lot. Scarlett started to unbuckle her seatbelt, making Klaus confused. "What are you doing?"