Chapter 13: Dogs Vs Bats

Scarlett walked down on the hallway of the compound, looking for Klaus when she went to his room

Scarlett walked down on the hallway of the compound, looking for Klaus when she went to his room. She swung entered the room to see to see the familiar red-headed witch, Genevieve, half naked. "Oh, wonderful. I walked in on something that I didn't want to see. A psycho half-naked witch."

"Ten minutes ago, I was fully naked." Genevieve smirked at Scarlett, trying to make Scarlett jealous.

"Oh, I did not need to know that." Scarlett's face scrunched up in disgust, the image appearing in her head. "Aren't you supposed to be decomposing underground?"

"You sure do love to piss off witches." Genevieve remarked, folding her arms over her chest.

"Oh, it's my hobby." Scarlett grinned, knowing she was pushing the woman's buttons. "Not like you guys like me anyways."

Genevieve took Scarlett's presence as a hint to leave and so she did. She left Scarlett and Klaus alone in the room to discuss. "Really? The woman tried to blackmail me into stabbing you with the mystical knife of excruciating pain!"

"Well, New Orleans breeds nothing if not strange bedfellows." Klaus retorted. "But I assume you're not here to question me on my leisure activities."

"I'm here about Kieran." Scarlett confessed, getting to the point. "He's deteriorating. The pills, the meditation, they're not working. His lucidity's shrinking by the day. I've tried finding a spell to heal him but nothing is there. A witch did this, a witch can undo it. You seem super-tight with Genevieve, maybe you could persuade her to help."

"It won't do any good." Klaus assured her, trying to keep her from going in over her head. "These hexes, they start with magic, but as they take root, they alter the very chemistry of the brain. I'm sorry, Scarlett. The damage is done."

"My day just keeps getting worse." She muttered, looking down to the ground before looking back up at the other hybrid. "Well, have fun with your witch girlfriend. Let's hope she doesn't stab you in the back."

She turned to walk away when her short remark made Klaus chuckle in disbelief. "Are you jealous?"

"No. You actually reminded me. I have a date today." Scarlett lied, turning on her heel. "Goodbye, Klaus."

...

Scarlett arrived in the church attic to find Kieran shackling his ankles to the floor. "Is that really necessary?"

"The sickness, it's- it's overtaking my inclination to forgive." He claimed. "Replacing it with one thought that I could barely contain at the summit: Kill every last one of them."

"We'll figure it out." She nodded, trying to keep a positive mindset.

"I tried to figure it out with Sean, but I was focused too much on that instead of trying to stop him, and I'm not- I'm not gonna let that happen to me." The man explained to Scarlett, not mimicking the same attitude.