Chapter 33: Betrayal

Scarlett was at home, staying up just in case she got any worrying messages when she got a message from Elijah, telling her that Klaus was gone

Scarlett was at home, staying up just in case she got any worrying messages when she got a message from Elijah, telling her that Klaus was gone. No one knows how Klaus got the dagger pulled out of him but Scarlett was sure it was Dahlia.

Scarlett went to the compound where the rest of them were. They were trying to study every component of their plan, seeing if there was anything off about each part.

"Now, you're certain this will work?"

"Let's not toss around words like certain." Rebekah responded, showing her uncertainty of how well the plan would work.

"Nonsense." Freya mumbled, sprinkling the herbs all over the clay doll. "You grow more adept with magic each day, and this spell is flawless. Though, I might have preferred Elijah ask my permission before volunteering me as the bait."

"Yes, I'm not in the habit of asking permission." Elijah retorted.

"No matter." Freya brushed off the topic of conversation. "We have all that we need. Rebekah will perform the spell, using my heartbeat and the golem to craft the illusion of Hope's presence. Once Dahlia is lured into the killing ground, you will do what is necessary."

"You're rather calm, which is odd, because there are a million ways this plan can fall to pieces." Rebekah retorted with a slight smirk.

"I admit..." Freya sighed heavily as she started to pace around the room. "First, I was upset when Elijah ignored my plan in favor of his own. You are all so determined to protect Hope at all cost. Perhaps I'm envious- no one ever fought so hard to protect me. Then, I recalled what I saw when I looked inside your mind. The day you all swore an oath to stand by one another- always and forever. There's strength in such vows."

"I can assure you, it has not been free of consequence." Elijah admitted ominously.

"That is an understatement." Rebekah added. "Ask me, that vow has been more trouble than it's worth."

"And yet, here you are- proving my point. Family defines you, even if it demands sacrifice." Freya spoke as she slowly stepped over to Rebekah. She grabbed Rebekah's hands into her own, squeezing them gently. "My entire life, I have longed for what you have. It is better to at least glimpse it, facing death, than run forever and know nothing of family."

...

Scarlett was setting up a spell with Rebekah upstairs when she heard the bells of St. Louis Cathedral ringing throughout the compound, along with Dahlia's song. This frightened the group slightly but they knew they needed to go through with the plan.

"Are you ready?" Rebekah asked Scarlett in a soft tone.

"I think so." Scarlett replied, unsure of her feelings at the moment. "Are you?"

"As ready as I'll ever be."

Scarlett offered her hands to Rebekah, which she took before she started to chant the spell. She was using Scarlett as a source of power since she was an extremely powerful being and so was Dahlia. Scarlett squeezed her eyes shut, feeling a tinge of pain through her body as Rebekah continued to chant the spell.