Chapter 28: Not-So-Safe House

In the living room, Scarlett sat on the floor with Hope in between her legs while the child cooed

In the living room, Scarlett sat on the floor with Hope in between her legs while the child cooed. She looked over to Elijah, who was watching them in the distance with a slight smile on his face. "Have you been having those visions lately?"

"Not as much as before." Elijah answered honestly, knowing not to lie to Scarlett.

"It's very common in traditional PTSD patients." Scarlett informed the Original. "We've done the work to face your atrocities. The truth is, it's just going to take some time to settle."

"And you believe you have the power to resolve this?" Elijah questioned her, coming off as patronizing.

"It's not easy like that." Scarlett claimed. "In your case, sometimes not dwelling on the problem is more productive than examining it through the minutiae of therapy. Staying mentally busy instead of physically. This house- though charming- is completely falling apart."

"Mend the home, mend the man?"

"Basically." Scarlett agreed with a nod, watching as Elijah rised from the ground in front of her. "I'll spend the day with Hope and you spend the day not thinking. And fixing the heater because this place is freezing at night and we don't need Hope to get hypothermia."

...

Scarlett left the house with Hope, going to the Farmer's Market to get food for the child. They started to run out of food at the mansion so she thought that it would be a fun trip with Hope.

Hope sat in the backseat of the car while Scarlett sat in the driver's seat, holding her phone to her ear. She knew how Elijah could worry at times so she thought it'd be best to call him, updating him on their current situation. "Hey Elijah. Just wanted to let you know that we'll be home soon. Bye."

Scarlett took the phone away from her ear, leaving a voicemail for Elijah before placing her phone into the passenger's seat. She started up the car before turning on the radio where her favorite older songs would usually play.

On the ride back to the mansion, the hybrid had played music and had a dance party with Hope. The child couldn't understand what was happening but that's not the point.

Scarlett sighed in relief when she recognized the road that led to the safe house. She took a turn onto the road when she heard a whine come from Hope in the backseat. Scarlett turned down the music on the radio when she heard the noise. "Aww, you're okay. We're almost home."

Scarlett continued driving towards the house, seeing it come into her view when the car started to shut down on her. She furrowed her eyebrows at the sight while the car came to its stop. Scarlett tried to start up the car but it just wouldn't budge.

Scarlett whacked her hand against the wheel, causing a loud beep to erupt. She leaned back in her seat, letting out a sigh of defeat before looking back at Hope. She saw her bright blue eyes stand out above all of her other features when that reminded her of Klaus.

"You got those devilish yet pretty eyes just like your dad." She smiled at the child. "I wonder if the car was your doing."

Scarlett turned her head away from Hope, looking to the house before her when the unexpected happened. The house itself went into flames from the inside, causing a firework show on the property. "Holy shit." Scarlett watched the scene horrified before looking back at the child, who seemed content with what had happened. "I'm so glad you exist."

Scarlett whipped her head back towards the house when she heard the car start up again. Scarlett used this opportunity without hesitation, taking a sharp turn to drive away from the house.

Scarlett grabbed her phone from the passenger's seat, opening up her contacts in a rush. She called Elijah, trying to see what the hell happened but it went to voicemail. "Elijah, please tell me you're okay. What's happening? Call me when you can."

Scarlett was driving on a vacant road, trying to get to a safe spot when she noticed Elijah standing in the middle of the road. Scarlett pressed the break peddle roughly, stopping right before the car could hit him. Scarlett looked to the Original, who was adjusting his button up, staring at him appalled. "Are you serious?"

Elijah used his vampire speed, rushing to the passenger's side of the car before hopping in beside Scarlett. He continued to adjust his sleeves when he looked to Scarlett, who was still confused. "What the hell happened back there?"

"That's a discussion for the car ride back home." Elijah responded mysteriously. "Let's move."