Chapter 10: Grief Interrupted

The chapter title is such a stupid joke I made

The week after Davina's death was rough for Scarlett. She hadn't gotten out of bed and tried letting herself desiccate. But she was stopped by Marcel every time. He gave her the boring speech of the "I can't lose you too" bullshit.

Scarlett was just tired. Tired of all the pain she felt. She had felt that pain before when she killed her mother. After she turned into a vampire, she confronted her mother on trying to sacrifice her for the harvest and it didn't go well. She drained her mother bit by bit, killing her in the process. Scarlett sat there crying, cradling her in her arms until the sun rised.

Scarlett laid in her bed when she heard a knock on her door. "Go away, Marcel."

The door opened anyway. She looked to the door to see Klaus walk into the room. "It's just me, love."

"Even worse." Scarlett pursed her lips. "What do you want?"

"Usually, someone would say that they're checking up on you but I'm here for something else." Klaus admitted.

Scarlett rolled her eyes, struggling to sit up in her bed. "What is it?"

"There was an incident at the one of the witchy shops." He revealed. "You know, if you can't get out of bed, I could run the city and-"

"Nope." She cut him off, getting out of bed. "Let's go."

She brushed past Klaus as she walked out of the room, leaving him alone as he smirked. "I knew that'd work."

...

Thunder rumbled overhead as Diego led Scarlett, Marcel and Klaus to the Cauldron to show them what he had found. There were two vampires, lying on the ground both desiccated with the same magical symbol carved into their foreheads. Their bodies rested inside a magic circle created with salt, with runes drawn inside. "We came to mess with the witches, just like you said. And these two, they went missing. Found them like this, not even staked. Just dead."

Marcel took one look at his dead men and put his hood up. He turned on his heel, starting to walk away, taking Scarlett with him.

Klaus noticed his two friends leaving and turned to them. "Where are you going? Someone has to account for this!"

Marcel and Scarlett turned back to Klaus. "You want revenge, get it yourself. That mark is tied to some bad mojo. Any of y'all got any brains, you'll head back to the compound and stay the hell out of this."

Scarlett and Marcel walked away from the rest of them when Klaus turned to Diego. "We're gonna find whoever did this, and I will show them what suffering is."