Chapter 16: Fatherhood

At Rousseau's, the French Quarter is throwing an Irish-style wake in Kieran's honor

At Rousseau's, the French Quarter is throwing an Irish-style wake in Kieran's honor. The wake was completed with Irish music, lots of alcohol and tons of people who have gathered to share stories of Father Kieran and celebrate his life.

Scarlett knew about his wishes for his wake and wanted to fulfill them. She tried being strong, dealing with the loss of her friend, putting a force smile on her face to try to mask the pain. It wasn't exactly pain to her, it was more of an emptiness. She knew she should've been more sad for the lost of her friend but nothing was there.

Scarlett walked around Rousseau's, greeting people at the wake when she saw Klaus. He sat alone at a table with a glass of scotch in his hand. Knowing the depressed expression on his face, Scarlett joined him at the table. She sat across from him, holding a comforting smile. "Hey. Listen, I wanted to thank you-"

"Unless you've come equipped with the means to fill this, no additional platitudes are necessary." Klaus interrupted, holding up his scotch glass.

"Okay..." Scarlett pursed her lips. "I'm in a crap mood because my friend just died, and people are partying like it's Mardi Gras. Why are you brooding?"

"Brooding?"

"Yeah, like this." She imitated his expression, looking into the distance, adding to it. She waited a moment before looking back to Klaus. "You look like that vampire from the Twilight movies."

Klaus chuckled at her joke, making a smile appeared on Scarlett's face. The two stared at one another for a moment as both of their smiles faded.

"Klaus, seriously, what's going on?"

"I've been having these dreams about my dead father." He hesitantly confessed quietly, not wanting others to hear. "No diagnosis necessary, love. I've already got this one covered. My fears of fatherhood, of scarring my child as my father scarred me, are manifesting as nightmares. It's horrifically cliché."

"Klaus." She began, placing her hand on his hand that rested on the table. Klaus glanced down at her hand, wondering what was happening. "I think you will be a great father. If you can tell that your father is a shitty father, I think you'll know the rights and wrongs of fatherhood and do right by your child."

"Thank you, Scarlett." Klaus spoke softly. "Even after everything... you decide to be there for me."

"Seriously, it's fine. I just wished my father went to those lengths in protecting me." She assured him, wanting him to understand that it was okay. "After everything you've done for your child, I really hope your child will be safe."

Knowing that the conversation had become awkward, she finally realized what she was doing. She quickly removed her hand from Klaus', getting up from her seat. "Well, I gotta go give my condolences to Kieran's niece. See you later."

...

Walking down the streets of the town was the funeral procession. The sound of the jazz music was heard as the priests behind acted as pallbearers for Father Kieran's coffin. Scarlett decided it'd be best to not be alone for the day so she stuck with Klaus, Elijah and Hayley. When she joined them, she looked rather flushed, making them all concerned. "You alright? You look-"