37

I was going to Astrid's room when I bumped into Adonis

"What happened," he asked. "Why's the house so quiet?"

"Where have you been," I exclaimed. "We've all been trying to reach you for hours."

"Yeah I know. There are like a hundred missed calls and texts from you guys. What's wrong?"

"Astrid's sick."

"Oh my baby, what happened to her?"

"The doctor said it's some virus and that it'll go away."

"Oh okay. That's a relief. Did she eat anything? Where is she?"

I shrugged. "I don't know if she's eaten or not but she was sleeping when I last saw her. But what were you doing?"

"I had an emergency at the hospital."

"You could've at least informed us. We were all so worried."

"Yeah, I know. I was just having a bad day and it just got worse."

I noticed how his eyes looked unfocused. He's stressed about something. "Hey, you wanna talk about it?"

He shook his head. "No it's fine. I'll go check on Astrid and then take a shower. You go get some soup for her."

I nodded and left towards the kitchen.

When I entered Astrid's room after telling the cook to bring some soup to her room, I saw Daemon running his fingers through her hair. He's still in his suit, probably ran here from his office and didn't even change.

"You should go change," I said hesitantly. You don't know what might set him off, better be careful.

He narrowed his eyes at me and glared like I am snatching his child away from him.

"You know she wouldn't want you to neglect yourself for her." Since kind gestures are not acceptable I have to say something that'll make him listen.

"I'm not neglecting myself," Daemon growled.

I raised my eyebrow at him. "Really?"

I could see the doubt in his eyes. I'm such a great manipulator.

"I'll be back in ten minutes but you will not let her out of your sight even for a second while I'm gone," Daemon said pointing his finger at me. "Or I'll kill you."

I gulped. He doesn't look like he's kidding. "Sure."

I sat in his place after he left. "What happened to you, sweetheart," I muttered removing a few strands of hair from her face. "I hate seeing you sick. Please get well soon."

She stirred a little as I placed a kiss in her forehead. She slowly opened her eyes with a groan. "Soren?"

"Yes, sweetheart."

"Water."

"Oh right sorry." I quickly git her some water which she finished in one go.

"Slow down, the water isn't going anywhere."

She blushed and took small sips till it was finished. "Do you want some more?"

She shook her head handing the glass to me. "How do you feel now?"

"Better."

I placed my hand on her forehead, it was still burning up. She was about to say something when someone knocked on the door. "Come in."

A maid came in with a bowl of soup and placed it on the table and left

"Here, drink this." I forwarded the bowl to her.

Astrid scrunched her face. "I don't wanna."

"Too bad. You have to."

She shook her head. "No, I don't feel like eating."

"You have to. Then you have to take your meds."

She rolled her eyes. What the hell? The fever must've gotten to her head.

"Astrid, don't be stubborn," I said sternly.

Her lips wobbled and eyes started tearing up.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry, sweetheart," I hurriedly pulled her in for a hug. She sniffled in my chest. "I'm sorry, please stop crying."

I was pleading her to stop crying but tears kept streaming down her cheeks. Daemon's so going to kill me.

As I was trying to calm her the door opened and in came Adrian. Thank goodness it's not Daemon.

"Why's she crying," Adrian asked as soon as he entered.

Astrid left my embrace and immediately leapt into Adrian's arms. "Soren's being mean to me."

Adrian awkwardly patted her head. "It's okay. I'll hit him for you, alright?"

"No don't hit him!" She started bawling even more.

"Shit," Adrian cursed. "No, don't cry. I won't hit him, promise. Just stop crying or else Daemon will have my head."

But she continued. Dame, where does all that water come from in that tiny body.

We were in the middle of shushing her when Daemon came in. He frowned as his eyes fell on her.

We watched with dread as he took her in his arms and gently stroked her hair, rocking her back and forth.

"It's okay, darling," he shushed her. "It's alright." He kept whispering sweet nothings in her ears and finally after a while she calmed down.

"Now, darling, who made you cry,_ Daemon asked wiping her tears off with his thumb.

Astrid sniffled. "I'm not sure. Soren just told me to drink the soup and then I cried and then Adrian came in and said he'll hit Soren and that made me cry even more."

"It's okay, darling." He kissed her nose and gave her the bowl of soup. "Here, drink this."

She quietly started drinking it, unlike when I told her to do the same.

Daemon then turned to us with his infamous glare and we scurried off.

"That was close," I said coming out of her room.

"Yeah." Adrian agreed. "I can never understand girls."

I nodded in agreement before we both decided that it was in our best interest to not be anywhere near our sister while she's sick.

______________________________________
A/N
Hey, I hope you guys are doing great and still loving the story.

Sorry for the late and dull updates. I'm going through a writer's block but I promise in the next couple of chapters it'll be fun again.

Please vote and comment<3