Chapter 12

Emeralds POV
We had been shopping and walking all day.

All day.

For someone who's barely ever left her pack, let me tell you, the mall was a challenge. There was people everywhere, and the constant aroma of food. Every once in a while, I would get a whiff of a rogue, but then it would quickly disappear. And the mall, you wouldn't believe me if I said it, was full of humans.

I liked Valery. She was really funny and nice, and I think I just found someone to occupy my time at Damon's house, because Damon was alway busy. We talked about her life, where she lived in California where her mate is the beta of the Black Moon pack. Apparently, over on the west coast, they don't name packs after their last names.

"So, how did you and Damon meet?" She asked when I was mid sip of my diet coke. I spit it out laughing and she stared at me like I was an alien.

"That's a great story. Well, about four days ago I was supposed to be getting married to Nathaniel Blackstone, who was also an alpha. Apparently Damon had gotten word that we were connecting our packs and wanted to make a deal. When I walked down the aisle, I found my mate and well, he kidnapped me and brought me to his pack." I smiled at the memory. I really was stubborn, wasn't I?

"Seriously?" She said, holding back a laugh.

"Mmhm. Let me tell you, I despised him for a long while. He even put me in a jail cell! Oh that was just the highlight of my first stay." I smiled in mock sarcasm an she giggled.

"First stay?" She asked when her giggles stopped.

"Oh yea, yesterday I had gotten Damon mad so he just said I could leave. Just like that. So I did, I went back to my old pack, and I um- had complications when I got there- and Damon showed up, an he offered to help me disappear for a while. It was really... Sweet." I responded, my face expressionless. "How'd you meet Oliver?" I asked with interest.

Olive was her mate whom she met two and a half years ago, but I don't know exactly how they met.

"Oh, it was much less dramatic than yours, but still ironic. I was at a club with my friend over in California, which I had gone to to celebrate my 19th birthday, when Oliver's alpha came over and asked if I wanted I dance. I was slightly fuzzy, so whatever mate sense I was feeling was blurred out. I danced with him for about ten seconds before Oliver ran up to us and picked me up off my feet, literally. His alpha didn't get mad because he realized we were mates." She flashed her white teeth and rolled her eyes. "Even though Oliver is a beta, I'm just glad he wasn't an alpha. There could've been a fight on that dance floor if it was the beta I was dancing with. I'm sure you know exactly how possessive alpha can get." Valery sipped some of her iced tea and looked around us in the food court.

"Definitely," I replied.

***

"I think the red dress suits you better and it's tight so Damon certainly won't be able to keep his eyes off you," She smirked. I swear she was just like Damon.

"But I don't want to attract attention. I'm supposed to be there as his friend," I reminded.

"His sexy lady friend," She cooed, taunting me.

"I think I'll buy the blue one," I informed.

"No honey, no no no. We are not leaving this store until you buy that red dress," She pointed her finger lazily towards it and stared at my expression.

"But-"

"The only but there will be is your sexy one in that dress at the party tomorrow," She commanded.