Chapter 38

Emerald's POV

I woke up with a headache. It wasn't a major migraine like I'm supposed to be expecting sometime soon, but it certainly wasn't pleasant. I also noticed that I was not as weak and tired as I was earlier, so I'm guessing my wolf was coming back.

I gazed around the room, noticing that the moon was high in the dark sky, indicating that it was somewhere in the middle of the night. My face was on Damon's chest and his arm was wrapped tightly around me but still enough to breathe. He was shirtless as usual, and I took a moment to really admire his abs.

I noticed the way the moonlight made them look even more sexy, if that was even possible, and I felt the unnatural urge to run my tongue across every indent and crevice that made up his heavenly six pack.

Then I also noticed that I wasn't wearing the dress I wore to the wedding like I was when I fell asleep in Damon's lap. I was wearing only a loose fitting tee shirt that smelled of Damon so I assumed Damon had changed me out of it and into one of his shirts.

But surprisingly, I didn't mind one bit.

I laid my head back down on Damon's chest and closed my eyes, waiting for my body to go into sleep mode.

And nothing.

With a sigh, I realized I wasn't going to get much sleep tonight. I thought of something I could do and the first thing that came to mind was to read that book I had started earlier this week. I lifted Damon's arm gently as to not wake him up but I only got it half an inch off me before it tightened and he stirred.

"Mine," Damon said in his sleep protectively. I smiled at how protective he is no matter his consciousness. I again tried lifting Damon's arm off me, but failed again. I heard a quiet growl from Damon this time and I almost giggled.

I thought of a way I could get out of Damon's grasp but nothing came to mind for a few minutes until I finally got to a way. Maybe if I told his unconscious form that I wasn't going to leave, he would let me go?

I decided it was worth a shot. "Damon, I'm just going to go to the library and come right back, okay?" I asked him, placing a hesitant hand on his bicep. He tensed up but his grip seemed to lessen slightly, allowing me to leave. I quickly and gently removed his arm and ran towards the door. Just before I opened it I remembered I wasn't wearing anything on my bottom besides underwear so I dashed into the closet and slipped on a pair of loose shorts and then left for the library.

Once I made my way to the familiar beautifully ornate doors I opened them just a crack and slipped in. I felt as though I had to be extremely sneaky at this time of night, just so that I didn't give anyone a rude awakening.

I walked over to the table I was at the last time and started looking for the book in the pile. After a few minutes if looking, I found it underneath a smaller pile of books. I picked it up and smiled, feeling the hard cover.

"You really shouldn't be up at this time of night Luna, it's not safe." A males voice said from behind me, making me jump a little. I turned around and saw Will in the shadows behind me.

I clutched my hand to my heart and breathed out a breath. "Dear goddess Will, you almost gave me a heart attack." I said quietly.

"My apologies Luna, but does alpha even know you're awake?" He asked, slightly accusingly.

"Yes, I told him that I'd be back soon." I told him.

"You should probably get to that Luna before Alpha gets worried." He suggested, stepping out of the shadows.

I nodded and just as I was about to leave I turned back to face him. "Please call me Emerald, I'm not so comfortable with Luna yet." I said to him. I saw him nod so I left with my book back to Damon and my bedroom.