Chapter 20

Emeralds POV
"You're beautiful. More than beautiful. Exquisite." Damon declared, leaning closer.

I parted my lips as he leaned over me and just as his lips were about to touch my lips-

"Shit." Damon whispered as he backed off and his eyes clouded over. He must've been talking to someone over the mind link because his eyes didn't return to normal for about a minute and a half.

When they did I looked at him in concern.

"What happened?" I asked.

He closed his eyes and placed his fingers on the bridge of his nose. "Somebody was spotted by the border. Somebody as in a rogue or a hunter." Damon informed.

I gulped. Hunters and rogues are each equally bad, but hunters were worse. They have been heard to rape, torture, and skin wolves alive so that our coat is at its freshest. Rogues just killed you or sold you to hunters. I got the shivers from just thinking about it.

I automatically started to clean up our little picnic and Damon must've sensed my fear as he helped me just as quickly. I put all the food and garbage in the basket, folded up the blanket, and blew out all the candles.

"I'll have someone go to pick the candles up later," Damon said quietly as he held the basket with the blanket on top of it. He used his other hand to wrap around my waist and pulled me next to him but I didn't object. I understood he was doing it for protection reasons. I just held my flowers and went with Damon.

We walked quickly and quietly back to the house, getting back much quicker than we left. I was tired and Damon could tell so he walked with me upstairs and stood by the doorway until I was about to go shower.

I opened the bathroom door and was just about to walk in when Damon started talking.

"Emerald, I had also planned tonight as a little time for us before I go to Montana next week." He added.

I turned around. "All week?" I asked disappointed.

"Unfortunately, yes, but know there is nothing I'd rather do than be here with you instead of halfway across the country helping one of my allies with a rogue problem."

I swear, everybody was having rogue problems these days.

"It's ok, you have alpha responsibilities and I won't get be the reason you don't do them." I insisted.

Damon had a small frown cross his face but it disappeared in an instant. "I leave tomorrow morning and I have to deal with the rogues tonight, so I won't see you until next Sunday." He informed.

"Oh." I mumbled, walking over to give him a goodbye hug.

"Be safe." I stated. Damon embraced me back and kissed my forehead.

"I would say the same to you. Don't leave the pack boundaries while I'm gone, there still might be lurking rogues." Damon said.

"Don't worry about me. I'll be fine." I promised.

I could hear a slight sigh of relief from him as I released ourselves from the hug.

"Bye." I bid after him as he turned around.

"Bye Emerald." He replied, closing the door behind him.

Oh how boring a week this would be.

***

I was cold, extremely cold, so I pulled the blanket up all the way to my chest. I was still freezing cold.

I turned on my side trying to find my warm mate. I felt nothing next to me so I started reaching my hands out to find him. Nothing but silk sheets.