Chapter 58

Nikolai watched with shock from the ledge. He hadn't meant to kill her, just teach her a lesson.

His hand fisted by his side. He was beyond angry that she was so weak, falling finally killed her. Now, he would have to wait centuries for another bride, another queen. He wasn't willing to wait. Not that long, anyways.

So without even another second to waste, he pulled out his cellular phone, something he used close to never, and scrolled through his very small list of contacts. Finally, he clicked on her name.

One ring. Two. She picked up on the third.

"What is it, Nikolai?" She hissed, her thin patience clear.

"Do not speak to me in that tone, Rosemary. I need you in the palace. Bring your supplies, everything you have. I expect you in an hour." Nikolai hung up the phone.

He descended the stairs, making his way towards the room designated for Rosemary's practice. He didn't even look at Emerald's body as he stepped over her.

He heard no pulse from her body as he continued walking towards his office.

***

Damon felt it in his heart first. A stutter. Almost as if he forgot to take a breath. His hand flew to his chest, and he stuttered for a step, completely confused as to what was happening.

Then, he heard the crack of his back. It was surreal, as though he wasn't hearing it from himself, but from somewhere else. But he sure felt it. The raging burn that took a second to feel, before he became numb from feeling so much intense pain in his back.

Alec, who he had been training with, as there were a frustrating, angering lack of leads as to where Emerald was, stopped the move he was about to put on Damon. He realized that this wasn't some plan to beat Alec, although from the amount of training Damon had been doing to let off steam, there would be no one he couldn't beat.

Alec ran to Damon, worried for his friend, and tried to assess what was going on. Although his dirty little secret was that he watched all those medical shows in his free time, he had never seen any problem like this.

Damon then felt his ankles shatter, and he fell forward, landing on his front at Alec's feet. He couldn't think properly over all the pain he was experiencing, and he laid on the ground, barely conscious. His body was aflame with pain.

Above him, Alec was shouting his name. Damon didn't hear anything. His eyes were closed, his body unresponsive.

Alec then realized that whatever this was wasn't a joke, and he got on his knees and shook Damon's wide, muscular shoulders. Damon didn't hear it.

Get help out here, now! Alec mind-linked to Sera, who had been staying off and on with Damon's pack for the past six months with him. Things had gotten better between them, but the romance was barely alive.

But Alec wasn't worried about the romance between him and Sera now. He was worried about his closest friend, as well as the still-secret Alpha King of all werewolves. Alec was the only one truly aware of it.

"Damon, Damon get the fuck up!" He yelled, with no reply.

Damon's eyes had closed now, and his mind was empty. But just as he, and unknowingly, his mate, took their last breaths, he did finally hear something inside his head, sounding far away, but close at the same time.