Chapter 14

Emeralds POV
Nate came up to me and grabbed my shoulders, shaking me.

"Emerald! Why are you here with- with Him?" He asked like he was talking to a child who couldn't comprehend.

"Because he is my boyfriend," I lied sardonically.

Both Damon and Nathan's jaws dropped to the floor.

"What?" Nate asked.

"You heard me," I smiled. "Boyfriend." Nate looked about ready to murder somebody.

"Is he drugging you? Blink twice if he is," Nate commanded in confirmation.

I rolled my eyes. Nate's jaw seemed to drop even farther.

Damon wanted to taunt Nate further so he put his arm around my waist and pulled me to him, sparks lighting up my side. He smiled mockingly at Nate who growled.

"Emerald, you don't know how sorry I am for cheating on you with Sera. I promise I was imagining you the entire time," He added, trying to help his case. He grabbed my hand and started to pull me away, but I held my ground.

I gasped in disgust. "You pig! You have sex with some whore and you pictured me under you the whole time?!? I swear, Nathan, I'm going to-"

Damon cut me off. "Let me," He whispered in my ear. He took his hand off my waist and removed his watch, handing it to me. I held onto it as if I let go for even a second, my wolf would take over.

Without warning, Damon's strong fist struck Nate's nose like lightning; fast and powerful. Nate's hands instantly went up to his injured nose.

"Nathaniel, if you so much as dare to think about any intimate moments with my mate, I'll fuck you up so bad you'll wish you were never born. Do you fucking understand?" He declared powerfully. I was starting to see the alpha side of Damon, and let me tell you, it was hot.

Nathan growled and muttered something along the lines of, "This isn't over," and walked back.

Damon put his arm on my waist again I could feel how tense he was.

I leaned my head on his upper arm and sighed. Why was I getting married to Nate in the first place again? I thought.

"So, boyfriend," Damon teased.

I rolled my eyes. "It's more of a statement than friend, don't you think?" I smiled.

"It's also more true," He taunted playfully.

"Sure, whatever you say," I doubtfully replied and giggled.

We stood there for a while, just watching the party from a distance.

"He's a real asshole, you know?" I said, breaking the slightly awkward silence.

Damon laughed quietly. "Babe, I've known for a long while." He admitted.

"I can't remember why I ever was going to get married to him in the first place anymore. It's sad, honestly. Everything we had, we could've had, gone in an instant." I whispered, droning off.

"Maybe it was all for the best," Damon said to himself, but I heard it. Perks of having extra abilities and senses.

I sighed. "Maybe."

Damon learned down and kissed my forehead lightly, making realization but me like a truck.

What was I doing here, with him? Last I remember he was a murderer. A cold, heartless one at that. I lightly shook off his hand and stepped about a foot away from him. "I uh- I gotta use the bathroom." I told him before walking down a long hallway and not waiting for his response. We were being too nice to each other. I may hate Nate with a passion now, but that doesn't mean I can just move on to the next guy. Sure, just being near Damon gives me butterflies, but I shouldn't feel that way. Dear Goddess, I'm conflicted.