Chapter 56

Okay, so please don't be mad. I really wanted to focus on Damon and this chapter be from his POV, but everything I wrote just made him seem like a failure. So, I'm not going to do that because I love Damon and I don't want that to change. I'll tell more about what he went through at the end of the book.

also please read authors note at the end. <3

Emerald's POV

It had been a week since I last saw Damon, and I was starting to feel the pain through the bond. It was worse than when I was on my heat and he wasn't there, but it wasn't as bad as the heat itself. There was a slight burn all over, especially in my chest. I didn't think I could still feel anything from the bond when I was under constant wolfsbane, but apparently I could, which was both good and bad.

Nikolai had only gotten even more psycho in the past few days. One second, he would be calm and I wouldn't be as terrified, but the next second he would start hitting me and yelling at me for my appearance and attitude. I didn't understand it, and I was always on my guard.

By now, I had numerous bruises and cuts all over, from when Nikolai turned crazy. He had also amped up the amount of wolfsbane I was given, with four syringes a day. I could tell he wasn't taking any chances.

He came into my room about five minutes ago, telling me to be down for breakfast. I remembered the last time he wanted me to eat downstairs with him instead of up here, and I had no clue what horrors would happen today. I'm just hoping it's not more dead wolves.

I changed into the gown he gave me and cringed. He always was making me dress in dresses made for the Renaissance, or making me look like a hooker. It was disgusting.

Making sure to hurry, I walked into the dining hall, relived to find it was only Nikolai at the table. But I hid my relief and simply sat down next to him, staying silent.

"Why do you always take so long? Clearly that time does nothing for your appearance." He hissed, and I held back a nasty reply. I've learned in the past few days that saying anything besides what he wants to hear will get me beat, and I needed to stay strong.

"I'm sorry." I told him, trying to keep him calm. It was always walking on eggshells with him.

"After breakfast were going to my study so I can tell you a few stories." Nikolai instructed, and I nodded. What else could I have done?

Breakfast went by quickly with little conversation. Nikolai ate his giant four course breakfast while I was given grapes. He wanted to make sure I wasn't gaining any of my weight back.

Afterwards, he instructed the servants to clean, stood up, and held out his hand to me. I hesitantly placed my hand in his, watching his reaction closely. His eyebrow raised, so I stood up as well, and he guided me out of the dining hall.

We walked down the maze-like hallways, making a few left turns, until we got to his study. He opened the door, pulling me inside, and then closed the door behind us.

I also noted how he made sure to lock the door with a key and how he slid the key into his pocket.

"Sit." He ordered, gesturing to a large chair in the center of the room. I sat down silently, looking around the study. I hadn't been in here before, so the small space was new. There were bookshelves on all sides of the room, no windows, and an antique desk that looked like it needed to be replaced. Most of the things in this castle were broken, or trashed, or simply ruined, I remembered.