40. Consume the ground cherry

Author's POV

Rang rushed to the door when the door bell buzzed expecting Yeon. But when he opened the door he met with an unexpected and unwelcomed figure standing in front of him. Hae Ryeong.

''What's wrong ? Am I not the person you were waiting for ?'' He asked in his ominous voice.

After some time when Yuri came back home, she couldn't find Rang anywhere.
She was pacing around the house thinking where Rang went in that state, when someone enters through the door.

''Where did he go ?'' She turns around to find yeon walking to her.
''Yeon ?'' She asks.
''Do you know me ? Where's Rang ?''
''I dont know. I stepped out, and he wasnt here when I got back. He wont answer his phone either.'' Yuri said showing no interest in Yeon.
''Seeing how a rude punk you are, you must be her. The necklace thief. The one with 99 points.'' Yeon said pointing towards her with a smile.
''99 what ? What gibberish is that ?''
''Just something.''

Yeon's eyes drifted to the pyongang naengmyeon kept on the table which would turn cold in a few minutes.

''Dont eat that. It's for lee rang-nim.'' Yuri immediately spoke as Yeon sat on the couch ready to relish the dish.
''Naengmyeon tastes bad if the noodles get soggy.'' Yeon reasons as he picks up the bowl and starts eating as Yuri sighs annoyed.

At Hae Ryeong's,

''My gosh, you look so pale.'' Hae ryeong commented.
''Will you keep a distance ? You smell like rotten corpses.'' Rang snapped.
''It's the smell of death. Since i've lived much longer than I should've, as have you.'' Hae ryeong said circling around Rang.

''Want one ?'' He said pointing to the ground cherry plant as if he was mocking Rang.
''No, thanks.''
''Do you plan to sacrifice your life for your pride ? Is it worth it ?''
''Do you think i'm desperate to stay alive as you are.''
''Definetly not. Then why do you look like you don't want to go ? This is unlike you.''
''Get to the point.''

''Do you plan to defy our master ?'' Hae Ryeong questioned seating on the couch.
''He's YOUR master, not OUR master.''
''I know you're upset because of what the spirit of darkness did. But that was a misunderstanding.''
''You threw me into the forest of starved, but what ? A misunderstanding ?'' Rang scoffed.
''It was a risky move to catch Yeon. We wouldn't have left you there.''
''Sorry, but I can't bear to listen to your lies anymore. And apart from everything else, you dared to include y/n in this ? I think I made this one thing clear since the start. Try to think of doing anything to her and that will be the last thought that will escape your mind.'' Rang said walking towards a scared Hae Ryeong.

''Im sure you know that even in this state, I can kil you without any problem.'' Rang said removing a dagger from the folds of his coat and throws it in Hae Ryeong's direction. The dagger struck the pillar near Hae Ryeong making him shake like a leaf.

''That's odd. Your master should show up by now. Shall I take a guess ?'' Rang said taking back the dagger.
''Imoogi is not in this house right now.''