64. Two faced

Author's POV

''Hyeonuiong.''
''I heard he does everything his wife tells him to do.'' The imoogi scoffed.
''Not anymore. He disobeyed her and saved Y/n. That's good enough to prove that.'' Rang explained.
''So he's going to put her to sleep before we get there ?'' The imoogi spoke picking up the drug.
''Once she falls asleep you can take care of her.'' Rang proposed.
''When are we going to do this ?''
''Tomorrow.'' Yeon said.
''Meet us there at noon. Once it's all done, you gain control over the Samdo river as we promised and let y/n go.'' Rang said trying not to sound too demanding because it was in his tone.
''Okay.''

''Didnt they once have a son ?'' The imoogi asked.
''How do you know that ?'' Yeon asked.
''I just know. So, what do you think this story will end like ?'' The imoogi asked making Rang's blood boil. He had too much of his worthless talks.
''It'll be a happy ending for sure.'' Yeon intervened.

Yeon and Rang left the Imoogi's place and now were in the car on their way back.

''Why didn't you tell me that the Imoogi agreed ? You went there alone, what were you thinking ?'' Yeon ranted while steering the wheel while Rang just looked out of the window trying to calm down but Yeon's scolding wasn't helping.
''I forgot.'' Rang lied still looking out.
''You expect me to believe that ?'' Yeon sighed.

''Rang-a, I know you're stressed. And scared. I also know you hate the Imoogi but if we want this to work in our favour we have to put on an act.'' Yeon tried making Rang understand as he finally looked at the older gumiho with a tired but frustrated expression.
''How can I be clam in front of that snake ?! You expect me to be in control when he was bringing up y/n's name with his disgusting mouth ?!'' Rang bashed his hand on the glass of the vehicle.
''Yah, yah, calm down. It's my car.'' Yeon worriedly spoke.
''I'll pay for it.'' Rang muttered, his brows knitted.
''Woah, are you boasting right now ?'' Yeon said clicking his tongue.

''Anyway, are you sure that plan will work ?'' Rang asked now calming down.
''Yeah, thats our only way.''
''I still can't believe granny agreed to killing the Imoogi.''
''She would do it for y/n.''
''There's some history that I dont know right ?'' Rang asked now getting curious.
''Seok-min-ssi, y/n's father---''
''I know who he is.'' Rang interrupted with a straight face.
''Don't interrupt my story telling. So yeah, he was blessed with a daughter by Bok gil, Granny's son, before he died. I know you know who he is. After his death, y/n's visits to Granny's place became more than often. She loved them and so did they.''
''So she became like this unofficial granddaughter of granny and hyeonuiong ?'' Rang asked making Yeon chuckle.
''You can put it that way.''

''Where are we going ? This is not the way to my place ?'' Rang asked when Yeon took a different route.
''To get something to eat.''
''I need to rush back home, y/n's alone.''
''Are you really rejecting me lunch for a girl ?'' Yeon asked getting dramatic.
''It's not any girl, it's y/n.'' Rang said making a face.
''Yeah, chill. I already told her i'd have lunch with you when she called me this morning. She was cool about it.''
''Okay then.'' Rang said switching to smiling sweetly.
''Wah, you're such an actor.''

At the restaurant,

''Why'd you order naengmyeon out of everything ?'' Rang asked when two bowls of naengmyeon were placed in front of the gumiho's.
''Because you're paying.'' Yeon simply answered.
''Ki Yuri said you only add mustard to your naengmyeon. That's true.'' Yeon said looking at Rang who was adding mustard to the dish.
''Well, she's always been like that.'' Rang said passing a slight yet sorrowful smile.

''How'd you meet her ?'' Yeon asked slurping on the noodles.
''Well, I saved her life. If I hadn't, she would have starved or beaten to death by a zoo keeper.'' Rang said casually as if what he did wasn't a big deal.
''What's with that kid at your house though ?''
''Geumdoong-i ? It's him, the dog from my past life.''
''I don't care if he was the dog from your past life. You cant take him away from his current parents like that.'' Yeon tried educating Rang.

''His step father has been beating him & that made me angry.'' Rang complained making Yeon laugh.
''Why are you laughing ?''
''Its funny that's all. For someone who's been causing mayhem like the Joker, it's funny to know that you've been doing good deeds too.''
''Shut it.'' Rang said making a face.
''Look at you all grown up now. I guess I should give that credit to y/n.''
''You should. Even I do.''

At the Imoogi's,

''I hate being here. I wanna go back.'' Yuri complained while kicking stones in the yard while the Imoogi sat opposite to her reading a book, unaffected.
''Where would you go ?'' He asked.
''Home.''
''Home ? You dont have a home.''
''I do. I live with Lee rang-nim and y/n-ssi.'' Yuri said confidently looking at the Imoogi.
''No one will want you back.'' He said closing the book.

''You're wrong. Lee rang-nim will be waiting for me.'' Yuri debated.
''A thing like you will only bring misfortune to them. Like me. So dont bother with the wishful thinking. No one will come to save you. I speak from experience.'' The imoogi smiled while Yuri's heart felt heavy.
''What are you and Lee rang-nim planning to do ?'' Yuri asked.
''Didnt you hear everything that we discussed ?'' The imoogi asked referring to when Yuri sneaked on their conversation that morning Rang came to discuss things.

''So you'll really end up being an almighty ?'' Yuri sighed.
''What comes afterwards then ?'' She further asked.
''I'll rule the world and take y/n for myself.'' The imoogi spoke as his expression darkened.
''That's not what you promised !'' Yuri yelled.
''What he requested cant be granted. Im sure he feels the same way.'' The imoogi said nonchalantly.
''I want you do something for me.''
''Im not doing anything for you.'' Yuri retorted.

''I want you to come to the Samdo river with me tomorrow.''
''Why ?''
''Just in case. You never know what wil happen when.''
''What if I don't want to ?''
''I wasn't asking. You wouldn't decline if you know ill call him and suggest suicide.'' The Imoogi threatened.
''Just kill me instead, darn it !''
''Thats not how things work. If I kill you, they won't get to see you in despair.''

At Rang's,

''Rang, you're back. Are you alright ? Nothing happened right ?'' Y/n showered Rang with questions as soon as he entered the house.
''Im alright.'' He smiled while patting y/n's head.
''How'd it go ?'' Y/n asked in a concerned tone.
''He fell for it. Things are in our favor. Dont worry.''
''Thats a relief.''

''Is there someone else here ? I smell someone.'' Rang asked squinting his eyes.
''Oh right, Shin ju's here.'' Y/n said, as if on cue Shin ju came out of one of the rooms with Soo ho on his back. He let the kid down as he walked towards Rang.
''Annyeong.'' He said nervously.
''Why are you here ?'' Rang asked monotonously, as he slumped on the couch.
''Well, I--- uh---'' Shin just stuttered as he looked at Y/n for help.
''Rang, listen to what he has to say with a calm mind, okay ?'' Y/n said sitting beside the gumiho, signaling Shin ju to speak.

''Whats wrong ? What did you do ?'' Rang asked Shin ju suspiciously.
''Well, I met Yuri yesterday.'' He said nervously.
''What ?!''
''And I might have gotten into an argument with her and said some hurtful things....'' Shin ju said getting more anxious.
''You crazy punk ! You dare treat Yuri that way ? She's already risking her life because of me.'' Rang vented throwing a pillow on Shin ju as y/n tried to calm him down.

''H-he regrets what he said to her. Right Shin ju ?'' Y/n said trying to handle the situation.
''Yes, I regret what I said to her. But I dont know how to reach her, and there's no way to apologize.'' Shin ju spoke in a sad voice.
''You're doomed now. She holds a really bad grudge.'' Rang said shaking his head.

''Maybe you can talk to her---''
''Same goes for me.'' Rang interrupted Shin ju.
''I will never approve of you and Yuri.'' He further added making Shin ju look at Y/n again with a sad face as if he would cry any moment.
''Why do you keep looking at her ?! She's on this with me.'' Rang said frustratedly.
''I agree, Shin ju. You shouldn't have said those things. But if you sincerely apologize and Yuri accepts it then I guess it'll be alright. Right, Rang ?'' Y/n nudged Rang with her elbow.
''Maybe, im not sure.'' Rang spoke sulkily.

''All this comes later. But for now I think checking upon Yuri comes first.'' Y/n tried clearing the air and focusing on the thing thats important.
''Right, we must do something. Lets go.''