63. Us against fate

Author's POV

''You're here.'' Y/n walked towards Rang who entered the house with some bags in his hand and placed them on the kitchen counter
''What took you so long ? Its 8 pm, Rang.'' Y/n complained in a calm yet concerned voice as she threw her arms around Rang pulling him softly in her embrace, nuzzling her face in his chest.
''Why, did you miss me ?'' Rang teased.
''Yeah. I missed you. I was worried about you because it got so late.'' Y/n spoke as she looked up making Rang feel taken aback.
''Im sorry I made you worry. I swear this was important or I wouldn't have left you alone.'' Rang spoke as he cupped her face but the both of them immediately jerked away hearing Soo ho yell as he excitedly came out of his room running into the living room.

''Ahjussi, you're back !'' Soo ho striked his wide gummy smile at the Gumiho as Rang ruffled his hair ignoring the fact that he destroyed the couples moment.
''Did you miss me too ?''
''A lot.'' The kid giggled.
''Oh, where's this smell coming from ?'' Soo ho sniffed around the room until he walked in the kitchen followed by the other two.
''Ahjussi ! Did you get this ?'' He asked smile wider than ever to which Rang nodded.
''I hope you two didn't have dinner yet.'' He asked.
''No, we were waiting for you.'' Y/n replied.
''Great then ! Im starving, let's dig in.'' Rang spoke immediately getting the cutlery and setting the dining table as everyone seated themselves and started eating.

Rang took a bite of his food then looked up at y/n and Soo ho. He captured the moment in his eyes as overwhelming thoughts clouded his mind. The laughter and silly conversations at the table weirdly made his heart feel heavy not knowing that y/n who was sitting opposite to him was also feeling the same thing as she looked at him.

''Is he asleep ?'' Y/n asked as Rang walked out of Soo ho's room slowly shutting the door not to awake the sleeping mini storm.
''Yeah, unusually he dozed off as soon as his head hit the pillow.'' Rang said sitting down beside y/n as she slowly rested her head on his shoulder.
''Rang, was Soo ho really Geumdoong-i ?'' Y/n asked still leaning onto the Gumiho.
''Yeah. Remember that day when I chased after him for those magic glasses, I got to know then.''
''Rang...'' Rang hummed in reply as he gently caressed her hair.

''Today at dinner, it felt like I didn't wanted the time to end. It felt so good like we were just any other family living happily. I've always imagined it, the perfect picture in my mind. Me waking up beside you as the rays of your smile begin my mornings, us getting to work together, taking time out on weekend to go out for dates, coming back home and dining together, laughing, smiling, telling each other about our day. A normal happy life without any worry about what's going to happen tomorrow. Am I asking for too much from life ?'' Y/n spoke still in the same position without looking at Rang. She wasn't in any way complaining or blaming Rang but just trying to speak her heart.

''You aren't asking for too much, love. You deserve all of this and so much more. I know I couldn't do any better in the past but I promise, I'll turn your dreams into reality. The image of a happy family that you have in your mind will come true. I give you my word y/n. And foxes dont break their promises.'' Rang tried passing a smile to the her as she looked up at him with the same expression.
''Im sorry y/n.'' Rang's eyes held a mixture of hurt and regret.
''For what ?''
''For everything.''

''Rang, you're the best thing that has ever happened to me. I don't want you to be sorry about that. I'm really grateful to have you by my side.'' Y/n held the gumiho's hand as she connected her fingers with his.
''Im nothing.'' Rang gave a slight smile.
''You're my everything.'' Y/n spoken softly staring into his dark brown eyes as he finally gave her a genuine smile.
''Y/n, this fight will be over tomorrow.''
''What do you mean ?''

Rang explains y/n everything about their plan for tomorrow and the trap for imoogi.

''He hasn't changed his mind yet has he ?'' Y/n asked leaving a sigh.
''We dont have any choice other than waiting for his reply.''
''Should I---''
''No y/n. I refuse to play the bait game. And so will you.''
''Fine, I won't.'' Y/n assured Rang.

Hours passed by. The sun rays fell on the windows of Rang's house while his anxiousness grew deeper and deeper. The reply that he was waiting for never came. He was simultaneously in contact without Yeon who was also giving empty replies.

''Rang, anything ?'' Y/n asked looking at the Gumiho who was continuously pacing around the living room as he paused and shook his head.
''Maybe we were wrong about this.'' Rang disappointedly muttered as he threw his phone on the couch opposite y/n and walked away in his room.

''Rang !'' Y/n almost screamed to which Rang came sprinting.
''What happened ? Is everything alright ?''
Y/n held his phone up displaying the screen with wide eyes.
''He's calling.'' Y/n spoke as a wide smirk grew on Rang's face.

At the Imoogi's,

''Im in. Together we'll attack the gate keeper of Samdo river.'' The imoogi put his hand in front of Rang which the Gumiho shook forcefully.
''What made you come to this decision ?'' Rang asked immediately pulling his hand away in inner disgust.
''Probably the same reason you decided to team up with me. Have a seat.'' The imoogi offered.

''You decided to come alone ? Where's your brother ?'' The imoogi asked grabbing a bottle of wine from the table beside him.
''Why ? Are you missing him ?''
''You have some guts, Rang.''
''I won't thank you.''

''Someone was missing me ?'' Yeon entered the room and straightaway sat comfy beside Rang.
''Woah, this feels so unfamiliar.'' The imoogi gave out a chuckle.
''Not used to having Gumiho's at your place ?'' Yeon asked.
''Those who poured me wine were always those who begged me for more time. They begged me to help them stay alive. For one more day, one more year.''

''You dont need to brag about not having friends.'' Rang sassed.
''It's because I dont trust anyone.''
''It sounds like you failed to gain peoples trust.''
''It means I have nothing to protect. Thats what makes me stronger than you.''
''Im stronger than you, because I have someone to protect.''
''You shouldn't be so sure about that.''

''You also have something that you should protect at all costs. Your other half that lives in y/n's body.'' Yeon took the conversation as he saw Rang losing his cool.
''I noticed you took a scale.'' The imoogi tried cornering Yeon.
''Do you want it back ?'' Yeon asked raising a brow.
''Will you give it back ?''
''Only if you leave y/n.'' Rang interrupted.
''The gatekeeper of the Samdo river comes first.'' The imoogi said.

''How do you plan to attack the lady of Samdo river ?'' The imoogi asked.
''How much do you know about her ?'' Yeon questioned back.
''I know she can easily turn a mountain spirit into a rock with the blink of an eye. And I heard she can see miles ahead of her. About that power she has to see miles ahead, how far do you think she can see ? Do you think she knows how I look ?'' The imoogi went on.

''Its not a surveillance camera. She's just able to catch the overall flow of how things go. For example, she may not be able to know about our conversation but she knows we're together now.'' Yeon explained.
''So she doesn't know everything in detail ?''
''If we block her sight we might be able to win.'' Rang suggested.
''How ?''
Rang removed a vial form the folds of his coat and placed it on the table.

''This is what you guys gave me to make Yeon fall asleep. I only took a small sip but it worked pretty well.'' Rang spoke.
''Do you think she'll drink this ?'' Imoogi questioned.
''She might. That is if we use someone she trusts.''
''Y/n ?'' The imoogi asked making Rang lose his temper when Yeon gives him a glance of assurance.
''NO. Y/n will not be included in any of this.'' Rang spoke venomously.
''I was just suggesting. Why are you getting worked up ? Who else if not her ?''
''Hyeonuiong.''

A/N

We're at 16k+ y'all !!!! You guys always surprise me.
I know no one asked for it but here's just a collage of Rang being an alcoholic Gumiho.