Chapter 4: The half truth

| RED'S POV |

As I sat on the couch, my mind raced with conflicting thoughts. Should I confront Uncle J with anger, unleasing all the pent up frustration for his absence? Or should i embrace this stranger for finding a blood relative? Confusion, betrayal and anger swirl inside me, making it hard to think straight. But one question keeps haunting me:

'Why didn't Aunt May tell me sooner?' The uncertainty and unanswered questions only add to my turmoil.

Caught up in my thoughts, I hadn't realized that they had already entered the house. Looking up, I observed the noticeable distance between them. It seemed like they truly despised each other.

"Red," Aunt May, with tears welling up in her eyes, gently held my face in her hands. " I understand that this overwhelming" She said softly. And boy, was she right.

"And I also know that you must be angry that I lied about your family," As Aunt May's hands gripped my cheeks, I could feel the intensity of her emotions. Her voice quivered with weight of her confession and tears shimmered in her eyes.

I'm just upset, Aunt.

"Please, you have to believe me that whatever I did was for your protection. I couldn't see them take you just like they did to your..." She stopped, and I knew what she meant; my parents.

"She's right, Red," my newly found uncle intervened, standing at a distance. His eyes reflecting a sense of regret and uncertainty. The atmosphere was heavy with unspoken emotions, leaving us all on edge.

Knowing that the truth had been unfolded in such a chaotic and sorrowful manner wasn't what he expected. I understood that my uncle had intended for me to be more prepared before revealing himself, but fate had it's own plans. It was clear from his eyes that he wasn't ready to face me yet. Despite everything, a part of me couldn't help but feel a twinge of pain for him.

" Aunt," I gently hold her hands that clung to my cheeks, trying to soothe her. " I can't deny that I'm disappointed and angry, but I won't lie about how I feel." Releasing her hands, I took a step back, needing some space to gather my thoughts.

I need to breath.

" You told me my parents were orphans, and that's how they fell in love," I said, turning to face her, my gaze locked with hers.

" Well, technically, your mom's people disowned her for loving a hunter" My Uncle interrupted, mentioning a term that confused me. I had always believed my last name was Hathaway.

" Wait, our surname isn't even Hathaway?" I crossed my arms, feeling defeated as I raised my head.

Has my life been a lie all this time?

" Calm down, Red. I never lied about your surname," Aunt May hastily reassured, her expression filled with fear and unease.

" Do we really have to tell her now?" She's already been through enough today," She directed a gaze filled with undeniable hatred, each words laced with anger.

" She deserves to know the whole truth, May. I understand you don't want to see me , but do you want to risk losing her because of the anger you hold towards me?" He defended himself, his tone noticeably calmer compared to Aunt May's fiery words.

" Excuse me but what other truth is more important?" I injected, my voice filled with urgency as their attention turned towards me.

" Please I need to know" I pleaded, my desperation palpable. I couldn't ignore the nagging feeling that something was wrong with me, that my body was changing in ways I couldn't understand.