Chapter 16: Unexpected Connections

| RED'S POV |

After the awkward meeting with Xavier, I bumped into Miss Allysn. Her warning words made me remember my own high school days, bringing back bad memories.

To clear my head, I went to the library. Surrounded by books and quiet, I tried to make sense of things. I couldn't shake off the worry from what I saw earlier. What if others were doing the same thing? It scared me.

Trying to push away those thoughts, I left the library quickly, not sure why I felt so urgent.

"Watch out!" Someone yelled. But it was too late. I collided with someone, and we both fell down.

As I lay there, dizzy and out of breath, I realized I was on top of a girl. She looked enchanting with her purple eyes and calm demeanor.

"That's one way to meet," she said with a smile. I apologized and helped her up.

"It's okay," she reassured me, brushing off the accident.

Luckily, not many people saw us. I was grateful for that. While she fixed herself up, I couldn't help but notice her beauty.

Was she a vampire too? I quickly dismissed the thought. She seemed too alive compared to Xavier.

"What are you thinking?" she asked, noticing my distraction.

"Nothing important," I replied, not ready to share my confusion and questions yet.

But part of me was curious.

"Just ask," The voice spoke, which gave me courage to ask.

"Are you, by any chance, a vampire?" The words escaped my lips before I could fully consider their weight, tinged with a mix of embarrassment and genuine curiosity. I braced myself for her reaction, apprehensive yet eager for enlightenment.

Her expression shifted from surprise to a more composed demeanor, her gaze holding mine as she processed my question. She seemed unfazed by my audacity, her features settling into a gentle smile.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to assume. It's just... you possess an ethereal beauty, and your eyes are absolutely captivating," I stumbled over my words, attempting to explain my inquiry while simultaneously grappling with the vulnerability of the moment.

Time seemed suspended, hanging in the balance, until the resonant soundof a bell shattered the fragile silence, signaling the start of another class. The abrupt interruption jolted us back to reality, reminding us of the pressing demands of the school day.

"Um... are you headed to the same class?" she asked, her curiosity palpable in her voice. It was a simple question, yet it revealed her genuine interest in continuing our newfound connection.

Truth be told, I had no idea where I was supposed to be. The labyrinth in the corridors and unfamiliar layout of the school had left me disoriented and adrift.

"I suppose so," I replied, a mixture of uncertainty and honesty lacing my words. In this vast sea of unfamiliar faces and uncharted territory, finding common ground with her seemed like an unexpected lifeline.

She nodded, and I followed her as we made our way to her destination. The silence between us was palpable, hanging in the air like an unspoken question waiting to be answered. Then, unexpectedly, she broke the silence.

"You're the girl who broke the Crystal of Souls, right?" she asked, her voice filled with curiosity. I stopped in my tracks, surprised by her knowledge, and she turned to face me, a smile playing on her lips.

"Does everyone know about it?" I questioned, a hint of worry creeping into my voice. The last thing I wanted was to draw attention to myself. I had come to this place seeking refuge and anonymity, not to become a topic of conversation.