Chapter 6: The Rules

| RED'S POV |

Restlessness engulfed me as I lay on my back in bed, my gaze fixed upon the ceiling. Sleep evaded me, my mind tangled in a web of swirling thoughts and emotions. The events of the day had left me reeling, struggling to come to terms with my newfound identity as something other than fully human. The revelation of my uncle's complicated past, coupled with the narrow escape from an assassination attempt, had shaken me to the core. It was all too much to process, especially on my birthday of all days.

I tossed and turned, desperate to find some semblance of rest. The absence of Aunt May was already taking its toll on me. I missed her deeply-she had always been my rock, my confidante. Who was I going to turn to now?

My uncle, on the other hand, seemed intimidating and unapproachable. The words he had spoken before leaving echoed in my mind, haunting me with their weight.

*Flashback*

"Red, before we leave tomorrow, there are some rules you need to follow," he said, his voice laden with caution.

"What kind of rules?" I asked, leaning in closer to him. "And why do we need them?"

"Because once we reach the realm, we won't have time to establish them," he explained.

I nodded, waiting for him to lay out his so-called rules. I figured if I couldn't support them, I would simply disregard them. Simple as that.

"Go on," I urged.

"First rule: no one can know that we're related," he warned, his tone serious.

"Do you think I want anyone to know that?" I scoffed quietly.

As if.

"This isn't a joke, Red. We need to stay under the radar. Nobody can find out about our connection. Based on your records, I don't think I have to worry about that," he stated matter-of-factly.

His words stung. Ouch.

"But why?" I asked softly, confusion etching my face. Did he feel ashamed of me or something?

He must have sensed my thoughts because his expression softened, regret flickering in his eyes.

"No, I could never be ashamed of you. I need to protect you from the dangers that lie ahead. If we go there and reveal that you're my brother's long-lost daughter, I'd be counting down the days until someone tries to kill you," he said gently, a touch of sadness in his voice. I could sense his efforts to be a part of my life, and I couldn't just dismiss it.

"I understand, but..." I began, raising my head to look at him, my confusion lingering. Something still bothered me.

"How can I navigate your world without any connection to anyone?" I asked, a devilish smirk tugging at his lips. I knew he had a plan up his sleeve.

"Don't worry about that," he replied, his tone cryptic. I decided it was best not to pry.

"Secondly, you must never try to blend in. You have to remain hidden, just as you always have," he continued. Now, that's a rule I intended to break.

"Why?" I sighed, looking at him as if he thought I couldn't figure out that two plus one equals three.

"You can't draw attention to yourself. We don't want anyone to suspect anything," he explained.

"I understand, but can I at least have friends? People to talk to?" I hesitated, my voice growing softer.

"You know I didn't have any friends in high school, so it would be nice to have at least one," I added, my mind already conjuring images of boys. Speaking of which...