Chapter 12: The Academy

Red Pov

'Where am I?'

'Who are you people?'

I couldn't believe the words that flew right out of my mouth. They escaped before I could even process them, leaving me in a state of disbelief. Was I going crazy? It certainly felt that way. But to my surprise, my impulsive question seemed to have an effect. The room fell into a momentary silence, and I could see the confusion mirrored on the faces of those around me.

A voice emerged from the midst of the gathering, breaking the stillness. "What do you mean you don't know how you got here, young one?" I turned my gaze toward the source of the inquiry and found myself locking eyes with an elderly woman. Despite her advanced years, she possessed an otherworldly beauty that seemed to defy the passage of time. Her pale, smooth skin and captivating presence hinted at the magic that permeated this realm.

A thought intruded upon my consciousness, a whisper from within. Could she be a wolf? The question caught me off guard, and I dismissed it as my own self-consciousness attempting to make sense of the unfamiliar surroundings.

To sell my act, I had to appear confused and panicked, as though I were in grave danger. "I don't know how I got here," I stammered, injecting a hint of fear into my voice. "All I remember is being chased by wolves. They were terrifying, but I couldn't get a clear look at them."

"My child, are you certain you didn't catch even a glimpse of them?" the elderly woman inquired, her curiosity piqued.

"Their eyes were glowing with various colors, and they were enormous," I continued, allowing a tremor to creep into my voice. The dramatic effect added weight to my words, heightening the tension in the room.

I scanned the room, aware of the gaze of the men and women fixated upon me. The students had been ushered away, leaving only the teachers and elderly figures present. Their contemplative expressions conveyed the gravity of the situation.

"I don't know what to do," one of the men muttered, his voice filled with uncertainty. "She shattered the Crystal of Soul, an artifact of immense power. I can't fathom how she survived."

Survived? The realization hit me like a thunderclap. If I had truly broken such a potent artifact, my life should have been forfeit. Panic surged within me as I contemplated the countless experiences I had yet to enjoy-moments of joy, adventure, and connection. I couldn't die now; it felt inconceivable.

Amidst my thoughts, I noticed the elderly figures donning dark wine-colored robes, some concealing their faces beneath hoods, while others revealed their weathered countenances. My uncle, who I had assumed had abandoned me, remained in the room, his attention fixed on the ongoing discussion. The fact that he had stayed by my side despite the circumstances gave me a glimmer of hope.

Seizing the opportunity, I whispered in a voice just loud enough for him to hear, "Hey." But before I could utter another word, his eyes bore into mine with a mixture of anger and warning. It was a familiar look-one that Aunt May often gave me when I crossed a line. It silently conveyed the message, "Don't you dare."

The attention in the room shifted away from me as the discussion among the elders intensified. This was my chance to seek answers from my uncle, to understand the unfolding events. I desperately wanted to reach out to him, to plead for his guidance, but his stern gaze held me in check.

"We cannot linger here forever, endlessly debating," one of the men interjected, breaking the deadlock. "We must proceed to the Chamber of Chances and approach this matter with reason and caution."

"You speak wisely, Elder Marth," another man concurred.

The Chamber of Chances? What was that? My mind raced with apprehension. I couldn't help but fear that it might be a place where my life would hang in the balance.