Chapter 5: The half truth 2

| RED'S POV |

Uncle J's reaction was a tumultuous mix of shock and confusion, clearly displayed on his face. The revelation I had just shared seemed to catch him completely off guard, leaving him disturbed and taken aback. Perhaps he had anticipated a different response from me, which only intensified his bewildered state.

Recognizing the gravity of the situation, Uncle J interrupted the tense atmosphere by requesting a private conversation with Aunt May. Rising from his seat, he made his way to the kitchen, and Aunt May glanced briefly at me before following him, leaving me with a difficult choice.

Although eavesdropping is generally frowned upon, I felt compelled to listen in. The alternative, sitting and waiting for their return, seemed unbearable. My conscience nudged me towards the more respectable option, but ultimately, I disregarded it with a resigned "fuck it."

Silently, I approached the wooden door, my curiosity reaching its peak. Pressing my ear against the rough surface, I strained to decipher the hushed conversation taking place on the other side. Suddenly, Uncle J's voice rose, filled with frustration and longing, as he exclaimed his disbelief at Aunt May's failure to disclose this information for so many years.

Aunt May, attempting to explain herself, responded with a hint of resignation in her voice. There was a heavy sigh, weighted with the struggles she had endured while raising me. Memories of the challenges she faced as a single guardian flooded my mind.

Their voices reached my ears:

"Why are you taking care of this child all alone? Where's your husband?" An elderly woman inquired.

"She's just my niece," Aunt May replied, attempting to deflect the conversation.

"And what about her parents?" another lady pressed further.

"They died," Aunt May responded, her words quick and firm.

I could sense the pity in their voices as an 11-year-old me hid under the dining table, realizing that more than one person was questioning my aunt's situation.

"It must be hard for you to suddenly take care of her," another woman interjected.

"She's just a child. All children are hard to take care of," Aunt May tried to evade the probing questions, but these women were relentless.

"May, you should know what I'm talking about. You're too young to be taking care of this child," one of the women remarked, pointing out Aunt May's age—only 26 and on the verge of completing her bachelor's degree.

"When was the last time you were with a man since you started taking care of her?" another woman's voice cut through, making me feel sick to my stomach.

"I don't know, and I don't care. I don't need a man in my life right now. Having Red is enough for me," Aunt May defended herself, and a faint smile tugged at my lips.

Aunt May's voice snapped me back from the memories as she began to speak again, pulling me back into the present.

"I must," Uncle J interrupted, his voice filled with desperation.

"Red, she can't remember things from when she was young, especially during the incident," Aunt May stated matter-of-factly.

"Do you mean..." Uncle J trailed off, his voice heavy with realization.

"Yes, J. The night her parents were murdered," Aunt May confirmed, and a heavy silence engulfed the room. The sound of a chair being dragged indicated that one of them had taken a seat.