Chapter 26

Red Pov

Conflicting emotions churned within me as Xavier's proximity intensified. Was it the knowledge of him making out with another girl moments ago that unsettled me, or was it his audacity to flirt with me immediately afterwards ? I found it difficult to decipher my own feelings amidst the chaotic swirl of attraction and aversion.

Xavier's ambition was undeniable, and while I acknowledged his drive, I couldn't help but feel that he wasn't my type. My mind involuntarily wandered to Mr. Caddel, the object of my affections. Despite the complexities of our relationship, my heart remained tethered to him.

My internal dialogue proved unhelpful, with intrusive thoughts plaguing my mind. The voice I had grown accustomed to had fallen silent, leaving me in a state of uncertainty. Had I managed to silence it for good? The prospect of finding solace in its absence should have brought me joy, but instead, a sense of emptiness filled the void.

"I'm here, Red," Xavier's voice snapped me back to reality. I turned to face him, noticing a flicker of concern in his eyes that quickly transformed into a self-assured smirk.

"Can you tell this douchebag to leave?" the voice suddenly returned on hearing Xavier's voice.

"Can you not disturb me at the moment?" I retorted.

"I will, once he leaves us alone," it declared.

"Us? There is no 'us'. It was at least peaceful when you weren't around," I lied, attempting to distance myself from the voice's influence.

"Just admit it, you miss me, love," it taunted.

"Don't call me-" I began, but my thoughts were interrupted by Xavier, who leaned closer, delicately tucking a few strands of my curls behind my ear. His breath grazed my skin as he whispered, "You're really into me, with those long stares I've been receiving."

The nauseating sensation intensified within me at his words.

"You guessed the first one right, and as for the second guess..." I leaned in close to his ear, my voice dripping with disdain, "In your fucking dreams." Although I couldn't see his reaction, I could sense a smirk forming on his face.

An abrupt realization struck me as I surveyed the classroom. We were still in the midst of a lesson, surrounded by students who watched our interaction with curiosity and the teacher with evident anger.

"Mr. Xavier and Miss Red, I won't tolerate such display here," the teacher reprimanded, his frustration palpable. It dawned on me that I had yet to utter a single word, instead, opting to distance myself from Xavier by shifting my chair away and burying my head in shame upon the desk. It didn't take long for the sound of Xavier's chuckle to reach my ears, a maddening soundtrack to my embarrassment.

"Game on, Green eyes," he whispered, but to my surprise, he refrained from further disturbing my focus for the remainder of the class.

"This is all your doing," I yelled inwardly, directing my anger at the voice that had plagued me.

"I didn't do anything," it protested.

"I don't want to hear anything from you until I fix this mess, understand?" I seethed, desperate for a reprieve from its interference. The voice fell silent once more, leaving me alone to confront the predicament I had unwittingly entangled myself in.

The sound of the bell's ringing signaled the end of the class, prompting students to file out. Xavier departed without his usual flirtatious wink, and I remained seated, contemplating how to extricate myself from the web of complications I had unwittingly woven.

"You know he's not going to let you go," Jacob's voice interrupted my thoughts, causing me to raise my head and find him smirking mischievously.

"How did you guys even meet? You've only been here for a day," Dean questioned, adjusting his glasses as he joined the conversation.