Chapter 65

| RED'S POV |

Reality abruptly snapped me back to the present as the jarring sound of a notification echoed from my pocket. My eyes widened in shock, the weight of my actions crashing down upon me once again. Not this again!

Without a moment's hesitation, I pushed Nicholas away, causing him to stumble and fall to the ground. I paid him no mind as I fumbled to retrieve my phone, hastily unlocking it to read the urgent message.

'Office. Now '- Uncle J.

"She's here," I whispered, a surge of excitement coursing through my veins. But before I could fully process the thrill, my thoughts froze as Nicholas softly uttered my name. I didn't want to turn, didn't want to face the regret that lingered in his expression. Yet, my traitorous brain seemed to shut down whenever my name slipped from his lips. Reluctantly, I pivoted to meet his gaze, my own eyes guarded.

"Red, I'm so-"

"Please forget about everything that just happened... I need to..." I interjected, stepping back as the words spilled from my lips. I wasn't ready to hear his apologies, to confront the hurt and anger that swelled within me. Once again, he hadn't initiated the kiss of his own accord. There was always an excuse, and I had grown weary of it all. "Cancel practice today, I have to go." He attempted to draw closer, but in an instant, I conjured a disappearing spell in my mind, causing myself to vanish and reappear in the solitude of my room.

Ana and Avery were engrossed in laughter, their attention captivated by their phones. Seeking solace, I decided to remove my top, the weight of my emotions threatening to overwhelm me. Aunt May was nearby, and I couldn't afford to let myself crumble in front of her.

"Red, what are you doing here?" Avery's voice snapped me out of my thoughts as I began buttoning up my uniform. Ana dropped her phone, curiosity etched across her face as she approached me. "Yeah, and you seem flushed. Your lips look like someone sucked the life out of them." She chuckled at her own observation but swiftly fell silent. Avery, too, froze in place.

"Don't tell me..." Avery's voice trailed off, uncertainty lingering in the air.

"Did Nicholas..." Ana's words hung unfinished, but I couldn't bear to hear them. "My aunt's here," I interrupted, relief washing over me like a cool breeze.

"Really?" Ana's eyes sparkled with delight, and I nodded, finally zipping up my skirt. I slipped on my socks and shoes, taking a moment to compose myself. They were already changing into their uniforms, so I patiently waited for them. But as we prepared to leave, my mind wandered back to the events that transpired in the training hall, and a surge of annoyance clenched my fist.

"If he knew he would be sorry, why bother starting it?" I whispered to myself, frustration lacing my words. Men were so confounding. Ughhh!

"Let's go," Ana declared, grabbing hold of my hand and leading me out of the room. Avery followed closely behind, and together, we ventured forth, leaving behind the tumultuous emotions that threatened to consume me.

We made our way towards the bustling hall, students passing by with smiles, engaged in lively conversations and laughter. It was a pleasant sight to behold, but my mind couldn't help but drift back to the haunting images of the lifeless bodies I had witnessed in Uncle J's file. If the Dark Lord were to return, all this happiness would simply fade away, consumed by darkness.

As we approached, I noticed Dean and Jacob ahead, engrossed in what seemed to be a serious discussion. However, as soon as they caught sight of us, their expressions transformed into their usual charming smiles.

"What are you guys doing here?" I inquired, causing them to exchange a brief glance before Jacob stepped forward.

"Mr. Caddel summoned us from our rooms. He said your aunt was here and that you needed us," Jacob replied, his words catching me off guard. Was this his way of apologizing? Calling my friends so we could go and see my aunt together?