Chapter 21: Trapped in Shadows

RED POV

It didn't take long for Ana and I to clean up my space in the room. Since I didn't bring much, as Ana had said, it only took two hours to get everything done. The room was finally tidy, and I felt a sense of accomplishment wash over me.

As I lay on my bed, the darkness of the night enveloped the room, glanced at the clock and estimated it was around 9 o'clock. Turning to the left, I noticed Ana already fast asleep, snoring softly with her mouth slightly open, which was rather amusing. She reminded me of Aunt May, and I wished she could see this funny sight.

I reached for my phone, thinking it was with my uncle, but to my surprise,
It was inside the bad had given me class. I tried calling Aunt May, but it seemed there was no network signal in this realm. Puzzled, I wondered if they didn't use the same technology here.

Frowning at the thought, I realized how foolish it was and decided to ask Uncle J about it tomorrow. I looked at my phone and noticed another number.

It was Uncle J's number.

Slapping my forehead at my own stupidity, that no one would bother checking my phone so, I decided to leave the name as it was and kept my phone under my pillow, looking up at the ceiling to gaze at nothing but the stars that Ana had drawn on them. The room was quiet, and I found myself drifting off into the silence, embracing its tranquility.

A few hours passed, and suddenly, I felt a chill in the air. It was an intense, bone-chilling cold that seemed to seep into my very core. I felt trapped, as if I were locked inside a freezing cooler, struggling to catch my breath.

"Wake up, Red," a voice echoed in my head, closer than before.

"I can't. I feel trapped," I weakly replied, lacking the strength to ignore it.

"Please, get up," the voice pleaded, a sense of urgency in its tone.

"I'm scared," I confessed, surprised by my own vulnerability. I didn't know why I was opening up to this voice, but I felt like I had no other choice.

"Please don't be scared. I'm here, love," the voice reassured me.

"Love? That's new," I remarked, dismissing the endearment.

"Okay," I responded, choosing to ignore the voice's last comment.

Summoning every ounce of strength I could muster, I slowly opened my eyes, cautiously surveying my surroundings. I rose from the bed, catching a glimpse of light from the lantern that illuminated the room. But despite the light, the coldness persisted.

Confusion clouded my mind as I made my way towards Ana's room to share my experience, but then I remembered her rule-no physical contact. It didn't make sense to me why she would impose such a rule, but I respected her wishes and left her be.

As I turned to head back to my bed, a strange wind seemed to fill the room. It wasn't a physical wind, for nothing moved, but I could feel it, a chilling presence. I rushed to grab my phone, hoping to shed some light on the situation, but as I flashed the light on the wall, it instantly vanished.

The confusion grew, but the coldness dissipated, replaced by a lingering chill that seemed to emanate from outside the room. It was then that I noticed the door had been opened. I was certain I had locked it before, so how had it come undone?

Maybe Ana had gone out, but I would have heard her, wouldn't I?

As I cautiously approached the door to lock it again, whispers began to echo from the other side. I couldn't make out what they were saying, but I felt compelled to investigate.