Chapter 33

Red POV

"Hey, Green eyes!" The sound of Xavier's voice pierced through the air, instantly filling me with a sense of dread. He was the last person I wanted to encounter at this moment-someone I desperately wanted to avoid, like a contagious virus.

I instinctively took a step back, almost stumbling to the ground upon realizing how quickly he had appeared in front of me. It was as if he had materialized out of thin air.

"Green eyes-"

"For goodness sake, Xavier, it's Red, like the color R-E-D," I enunciated my name, hoping that he would finally grasp it. But, as expected, he didn't.

He simply smirked and moved closer, leaning towards my ear. His proximity sent a shiver down my spine, and I could feel my heart pounding fiercely within my chest. The question silently echoed in my mind-was I attracted to Xavier? The very thought made me cringe.

"I prefer seeing your eyes flame up whenever I call you that. In fact, I prefer seeing your eyes flame just for me," he whispered, his words causing my heart to race even faster. I wanted to punch and discard the pounding organ, unable to comprehend my body's reaction.

Pushing him away, I hoped to create some distance between us. However, he only stumbled slightly before bursting into laughter, revealing his sparkling teeth, which seemed to add to his charm.

"Just what do you want?" I sighed, crossing my arms and waiting for this conversation to come to an end.

"Be my partner," he blurted out abruptly.

"Huh?"

"My study partner," he clarified. Now it was my turn to laugh.

"You study?" I couldn't hide the disbelief in my voice.

He nodded. "Why me? I'm new here."

"That's precisely why I'm here, smartass. Some teachers noticed that you don't know a thing about our kind, which I find weird since you're one of us. But I guess you're only smart with your lips, not your brain."

"My lips... Do you think that-"

"I'm not going to say anything about that aspect. So, what's it gonna be, green eyes? Do you want my help or not?"

"You do know that I have friends here who could help me, right?"

"Last time, do you want my help or not?" His persistence was undeniable. I should have said no, walked away, and never looked back. But something in me wavered. Perhaps it was the nagging voice of my aunt, urging me to have fun in this new place. Or maybe it was the magnetic pull of Xavier's captivating eyes.

"Okay," I found myself saying, surprising both him and myself.

"What was that?" He seemed taken aback by my reply, his expression transforming into one of sheer delight, as if he had just received a new puppy.

"I said yes, Fangs." He looked thrilled, as if he had won a victory.

"Where and when?"

"How about after school in the library?"

"Will they allow us in the library after school?" He rolled his eyes, as if my question were utterly foolish.

"Obviously. I'm the principal's son. I have power here."

Of course, you do.

In class, Jacob couldn't wrap his head around the idea. "Let me get this straight, Xavier asked you to come to the library after school so you guys can study alone?" he asked for the third time. My head was throbbing from all the nodding I had done.