Chapter 46: Night of Reveal

Red POV

"Mum... Why can't I follow you?" I whined, refusing to let my parents head to a party without me. The thought of being left alone was unsettling.

"My love, you know the party is for grown-ups only. Are you an adult, hmm..." My mother teased, and I nodded, trying to convince her that I was mature enough to attend.

"But I will be alone," I protested, hoping to appeal to her sense of concern.

"No, you won't. I already told someone to look after you, someone special," she said, lowering her voice on the last sentence, hinting at something intriguing.

"Special?" I questioned, curious about what she meant.

She nodded her head. "Oh, like a fairy godmother," I suggested, imagining a magical presence to keep me company.

She chuckled and corrected me. "Like your mate, he's on his way any second now."

Confusion filled my mind. "What's a mate?" I asked, hoping for a clear explanation.

"It's someone who will love and accept you for who you are," my mother began to explain. "They will make you laugh and sometimes cry, but it doesn't mean that they don't love you. They will always be there in times of need and danger, like a superhero."

Her words sparked a mix of emotions within me. Doubt crept in. "Do you think he will like me? I'm not sure he would," I admitted, feeling unsure of myself.

I heard an 'Oh dear' from Mum, and she hugged me instantly, comforting my insecurities. "Trust me, darling, he adores you already," she assured me, patting my head gently.

"How do you know that? He hasn't seen me," I pouted, seeking reassurance.

"You see him every time, but you're not ready to be with him yet," she explained cryptically, leaving me with more questions than answers.

Before I could inquire further, I saw Dad walking towards us, looking dashing in his black tuxedo. His presence brought a sense of calm and security.

"Dad looks handsome," I remarked, unable to contain my admiration for him. He smiled and hugged me.

"Well, my princess looks beautiful," he complimented, causing a blush to rise to my cheeks. I hugged him tightly, cherishing the warmth of his embrace.

"Dad, Mum said that my mate is going to take care of me when you guys leave," I informed him, eager to confirm what my mother had revealed.

He looked shocked at my statement, then glanced at Mum. "Oh... yes, he is. So, could you stay in your room for a while until he comes?" he instructed, his voice tinged with concern.

I nodded my head, agreeing to his request. "That's my girl," he said, kissing my forehead, before holding Mum's hand and looking at her with deep affection.

They both rose from my bed and headed towards the door. Mum blew a kiss to me, making me giggle. She left my room, and it was just Dad and me.

For a moment, Dad appeared worried, but he quickly composed himself and smiled at me. "Goodnight, princess," he whispered, his voice filled with love.

"Goodnight, Dad," I whispered back, watching as he shut the door, leaving me alone with my thoughts. I wondered what my mate looked like and if he would be kind. Slowly, I closed my eyes and drifted off to sleep, entering the realm of dreams.

*******

"Don't you dare step another foot, you demon!" I widened my eyes as I heard my mother's voice filled with fury. Who was she yelling at?