Chapter 23: " He's back"

Above is Dean aesthetic ✨

•••

Red Pov

My mind was all over the place, even though I shouldn't be stressing about him much. He's just my guardian, and I won't be seeing him often. But thoughts about him kept bothering me, even when I was hanging out with my friends in the library. I missed some classes because I passed out recently, and now Jacob and Dean were helping me catch up, along with Avery and Ana.

"Hey, Red! Are you with us?" Jacob's voice snapped me out of my thoughts. I turned to him, realizing I was zoned out.

"What's up?" I asked, trying to focus.

"Did you even hear what I said?" Jacob asked, not buying my answer.

"Sure," I fibbed, hoping to move on.

"Okay," he replied, rolling his eyes, not convinced.

Ana jumped in, sensing something was off. "You've been acting strange since you left your guardian's office. Everything cool?"

I couldn't help but wonder if it was normal to be so fixated on my new guardian. If it was, then maybe everything was okay.

Ana changed the subject to gossip. "Since Red's not paying attention, let me tell you what I heard in the girls' bathroom."

"Ana!" Avery scolded, not impressed.

"Don't be such a killjoy, Avery. Spill it," Jacob urged, oblivious to Avery's glare.

"Well..." Ana started, building suspense and ignoring Avery's disinterest.

"He's back!" Ana burst out, grinning, leaving us confused.

"Who?" Dean asked, breaking the silence.

"Come on, guys! Except you, Red. You're new here. But the rest of you should know who I mean," Ana said, disappointed in our cluelessness.

"How could we know? We're not mind readers like you," Avery shot back, arms crossed.

"Mr. Lone Wolf is back," Ana announced, and I noticed Jacob's grin growing.

"I thought he was coming next week for the Night Initiation," Dean said.

"Yeah, me too, but he changed plans. And guess what? He's teaching this year! Can you believe it?" Ana said, clearly excited.

"It's bad enough that half the school is crazy about him, and now you're getting Red involved too?" Avery scolded, reaching for a book over Dean, who shifted awkwardly when she accidentally touched him.

Was he blushing?

"Um, who's this Mr. Detention Ana's so excited about?" I asked, breaking the silence. Everyone looked at me like I'd asked about a famous person.

"You're not from here, are you? Well, he's one of the best warrior werewolves and guardians," Dean explained, serious. But Ana wanted more.

"Dean, you're not hyping him up enough. Where's the excitement?" Ana jumped in.

"Sorry, but that's all I'll say," Dean replied.

"I agree," Avery said, surprising us by backing Dean up.

Shocking.

"Why are you suddenly on his side?" Ana asked, annoyed, crossing her legs and leaning back.

"Because I don't get what's so great about him that makes girls-"

"Don't forget guys," Jacob teased, smirking.

"Girls and guys go crazy," Avery corrected, "He saved us from dark souls and leads the Crescent Moon. But who cares?" Avery started, before Ana cut her off.