Chapter 17: Unsettling Encounters

Red Pov

The first day at a new school had brought an unexpected twist-a serendipitous friendship in the midst of my singular quest to unravel the mysteries surrounding my identity and the tragic demise of my parents. While elated by this newfound camaraderie, I knew that I must remain steadfast in pursuing my true purpose.

As thoughts swirled in my mind, contemplating whether to confide in Avery about my predicament, I resolved to immerse myself in the intricacies of the school environment. Scrutinizing every detail, observing the interactions, and absorbing the essence of the place, I hoped to uncover the elusive truths that lay hidden within the walls.

But fate had other plans, for in that moment, a chilling voice, soft and insidious, slithered into my ears, sending an involuntary shiver coursing through my body. I turned, my senses alert, to face the enigma behind the voice-a boy whose tone carried an unusual blend of humor and femininity. His mischievous smirk belied the eerie resonance of his words.

"What do you mean?" I retorted, my curiosity piqued by his cryptic suggestion. With a subtle gesture, he directed my attention elsewhere, and I followed his lead.

To my dismay, the path he led me down led straight to the very classroom I had intended to avoid-the epicenter of my discomfort.

"So you've already managed to capture the interest of the Prince of sex on your very first day. Impressive," he taunted, his words dripping with innuendo. His companion, a mischievous smirk mirrored upon his face, joined in the jest.

Not again.

Why must they assume I indulge in such frivolous encounters? The frustration gnawed at my core, my fists clenching with a fervor that restricted the flow of blood through my veins.

"Whoa, dude, her eyes are glowing," the second boy remarked, his voice laced with a tinge of fear.

Avery, sensing my escalating distress, interlaced her fingers with mine, her touch a lifeline of calm amidst the brewing storm. "Breathe, Red. We can't afford a scene here," she implored, her voice a whispered mantra of composure.

Breathe, Red. Stay calm.

Summoning every ounce of self-control, I took deep breaths, redirecting my gaze toward the front of the class. The hostile whispers faded into the background, drowned out by the symphony of my own resolve.

"Um, we apologize for our behavior," one of the boys offered a meek apology, though I scarcely registered who had spoken.

Emotions swirled within me-a tumultuous blend of relief and indignation. Xavier's predatory gaze lingered upon me, a reminder of the dangers that lurked, while these two unwitting accomplices had nearly thrust me into yet another precarious situation, one that could jeopardize not only myself but also my uncle.

"It's okay," I whispered, my voice a hasty plea to avoid further attention, my words swallowed by the air that clung heavy with tension.

But alas, fate had other plans.

"Argh, Mrs. Poppy, those four at the back are making my eardrums bleed," a female voice whined, piercing the fragile tranquility that had settled over the room.

What?

Silence enveloped us, our collective breaths held in suspended harmony, akin to the hallowed stillness of a church.

"Well, we didn't say anything, Aubrey," Avery retorted, her voice tinged with frustration. Aubrey-a name etched into my consciousness-glared at us, her two loyal friends casting curious gazes in our direction.

"That's one of my greatest charms, morons," Aubrey declared, her voice laced with a sly, self-assured confidence that bordered on arrogance. She punctuated her words with a wink, captivating one of the boys who nodded in agreement.