Chapter 48

Red POV

His outstretched hand hovered before me, a silent invitation that I hesitated to accept. Ignoring his gaze, I tentatively reached out and allowed our hands to touch. In that instant, a peculiar sensation coursed through my veins, distinct from the shock and surprise that had gripped me earlier at school. It was a pleasant feeling, one that stirred a sense of intrigue within me.

As he pulled me up with a firm grip, I instinctively withdrew my hand, a sudden dizziness washing over me. Physical contact with this enigmatic individual seemed ill-advised, a notion that took root in my mind.

"That's not gonna happen," I murmured under my breath, my words barely audible as he turned away, intent on retrieving a stick. His actions were shrouded in mystery, leaving me to wonder what purpose this stick would serve.

"Catch," he called out, tossing the stick in my direction. It fell to the floor, leaving me perplexed. My eyebrow arched inquisitively as I sought clarification.

"What am I gonna use this for?" I questioned, my voice laced with skepticism, searching for understanding in his eyes.

"To fight, obviously," he retorted, his response accompanied by an eye roll that did not escape my notice. A flicker of exasperation danced within me, but I refused to let it deter me. If I were to engage in this training, it seemed only fitting to start with the basics.

"Umm... I know I said I wanted to practice, but can't we take it slow? Like a beginner's lesson," I proposed, my gaze fixed upon the elongated stick in my hands. Doubts crept in, questioning how such a simple implement could be effective in combat.

Why utilize a mere stick when supernatural creatures roamed this realm?

"This is a beginner's lesson, Red," he replied, retrieving his own stick and swinging it in my direction. Startled, I instinctively moved back, attempting to dodge his unexpected attack. "You didn't give me a heads up," I protested, my voice rising, though I managed to maintain a semblance of composure.

"Do you think those demons out there will give you a heads up? You wanted to train so badly, right? Well, here's your training," he admonished, his strikes coming fast and fierce. I stood in stunned silence, momentarily paralyzed by the intensity of his onslaught.

"Fine," I bit my lip, a mixture of determination and trepidation coursing through me. "But could you slow down a bit? Not everyone possesses werewolf speed," I requested, gripping my stick with newfound resolve, mentally preparing myself for the challenges that lay ahead.

"So, you know I'm a wolf," he smirked, a glimmer of amusement dancing in his eyes.

"Obviously," I scoffed, dismissing the notion. "The girls practically worship the ground you paw on." His head tilted back as laughter escaped his lips, and for a fleeting moment, my gaze fixated on the rise and fall of his Adam's apple.

Focus, Red.

"Why didn't Uncle J show up?" I coughed, averting my eyes, searching for anything but his piercing gaze.

"He was busy," he replied, his tone tinged with an ambiguity that left me questioning his words.

"Okay," I mumbled, uncertainty lingering in the air between us.

"Let's begin."

And so, we commenced our training. He explained that the stick was merely a child's practice tool, assuring me that I would eventually wield a more efficient weapon. The thought elicited a sense of resignation within me, for I knew the road ahead would be arduous.

I lost count of how many times his stick struck me, while I managed to connect only once. His leniency in allowing me that small victory was appreciated, but my stubbornness refused to accept such concessions. Minutes turned into an eternity, each strike a lesson etched into my memory. Eventually, he deemed it necessary for me to retreat to my hostel, lest I resemble a walking corpse.