Chapter 30 : Unveiling Connections

Red POV

"I can't believe he just removed you from tryouts like that," Ana said, her voice muffled as she chewed on her sandwich. It was already lunchtime, but the news of Mr. Caddel's actions had left me with little appetite.

I turned my head abruptly towards Jacob, anger bubbling up within me. "I don't blame him, though," he quickly interjected, raising his hands in defense. "What I mean is, he's trying to protect you. For all we know, you could have died if Xavier hadn't saved you," he explained.

I sighed, feeling a mix of frustration and resentment. It wasn't the disqualification that bothered me; it was the fact that Mr. Caddel hadn't visited me in the clinic. Anger welled up within me at the thought.

Yes!

He claimed to be my guardian, yet he couldn't even check up on the person he was supposedly protecting.

Huff.

"What's wrong with your eyes, Red?" Avery asked, concern lacing her words.

"Yeah, they're becoming darker," Dean added, his tone filled with curiosity.

What? I thought it wouldn't happen again. I'm not feeling threatened or insulted, so what's triggering it now?

"Umm..." I stammered, unsure of what to say. I quickly rested my head on the table, desperately hoping it would go away.

Please, go away, I pleaded with myself.

'Breathe,' a voice responded.

'You do know when to pop up,' I retorted sarcastically.

'Did you miss me?' the voice asked, and I couldn't tell if it was my own mind or something else.

'Yes,' I lied, somewhat.

'Really!' It seemed almost pleased at the response. If I were to tell it that I was kidding, how would it react?

'I missed you too, love.'

'Stop calling me that.' I didn't appreciate being addressed that way, yet I couldn't deny the strange longing I felt for it to keep calling me by that name.

'Are you calm now? I can sense your heart racing normally.'

'Huh?'

'Your eyes were glowing due to your emotions towards Mr. Caddel. That's why I could feel it.'

'I'm so confused...' I told the voice but was shocked at it's next reply.

' let's discuss it later. You've been putting ideas in my head for a while, and I want to see your pretty face.'

What the fuck?

I immediately raised my head, scanning the surroundings for anyone staring back at me, but there was no one.

It's here.

"Red, you're freaking us out," Ana's voice cut through my thoughts, reminding me that they were still present.

"I'm sorry, guys. I just don't know what's happening," I admitted, resting my head on Avery's shoulder, seeking solace and trying to calm my racing mind.

I couldn't tell them that I was communicating with something unknown, something I couldn't even comprehend.

"What are you?" Dean asked, surprising me. I hadn't even realized he was there, but then again, it was Dean.

"What do you mean?" I questioned, my confusion evident.

"Don't get me wrong. I can tell you're part of us, but your aura is something else," he explained, his voice filled with curiosity.