Chapter 43

Red POV

"Now that one problem has been solved," Jacob exclaimed enthusiastically, his voice filled with satisfaction, "it's time to focus on the most important thing: food!" We settled down at our usual lunch spot, ready to indulge in a well-deserved meal. After Aubrey's true nature was revealed, a wave of discomfort washed over the surrounding crowd. People instinctively distanced themselves from her, except for her loyal henchmen. Gossips about the incident spread like wildfire, and even the teachers who had witnessed it couldn't help but discuss it in hushed tones. As I observed the aftermath, I couldn't decide whether I should feel sorry for Aubrey or not. The guys, however, believed that her exposure was a fitting consequence for the harm she had caused to other girls. With their perspective in mind, I discarded any sympathy I had for her.

"You don't need to tell me twice," Dean eagerly chimed in, diving into the pile of chips in front of him. Playfully, Ana seized the opportunity to snatch a few chips for herself.

"Hey, you two, calm down before Red is left with nothing to eat," Avery playfully scolded them, prompting them to slow down their food consumption.

Just as I was about to respond, I noticed two girls approaching our table. They appeared frightened and somewhat ashamed, and it took me a moment to recall if I had seen them before.

"Umm... Red, right?" one of the girls cautiously inquired, seeking confirmation of my identity.

I nodded, curious about their intentions and wondering if I knew them from somewhere.

"We just wanted to apologize for spreading rumors about you and Xavier. Aubrey had told us to do it," one of the girls confessed hesitantly. "We didn't realize it was all a lie, and we're actually relieved that someone exposed the truth."

"Oh," was all I managed to say, as the gravity of their words sank in. I glanced at the rest of the guys, who maintained their stoic expressions, and a smirk formed on my face.

"Yeah, it's all good. As you said, 'someone' has already revealed her true colors, so all is forgiven," I responded, my gaze shifting at the perfect moment to catch Xavier passing by our table. He carried a bottle filled with blood, and our eyes met briefly. He gave me his customary wink, and I simply smiled back, careful not to reveal anything to the girls standing before me.

"Now that that's settled, could you please leave us? I feel like turning a couple of busy mouths into frogs," Avery interjected, her voice laced with a hint of threat. The girls' eyes widened, and without hesitation, they scurried away from our table.

"Avery," Ana chided, playfully hitting her shoulder.

"What? I couldn't stand looking at them. I know they didn't mean any harm, ," Avery responded harshly, defending her actions.

"I understand, and I'm upset too, but now that everything has been exposed, there's no reason to keep it bottled up inside," I explained, supporting Avery's decision.

"Now I see why I keep you around," Avery said, smiling at me.

"Red, you haven't touched your plate. Are you sure you're okay?" Jacob interjected, noticing my lack of appetite as he attempted to offer me some of his food.

"Oh, no, it's just that..." I trailed off, my attention suddenly diverted as I noticed two raised eyebrows from both Jacob and Dean.

"You must forgive Red," Ana interjected mischievously, leaving me flustered. "She's keeping her tummy empty for her date with Mr. Caddel."

"Really?" both Jacob and Dean questioned simultaneously, their eyebrows still raised in disbelief.

"No! It's not a date," I hastily clarified, standing up from the table. "He just wanted me to eat in his office today." I hurriedly made my way out, feeling the weight of their teasing smirks on my back. Blushing, I silently urged myself to maintain composure.