Chapter 60

Uncle J's Office Above ✨

****

| RED'S POV |

"What do you want?" I hissed, irritation dripping from my voice as I confronted him. The sudden appearance of Xavier had shattered the delicate world of my imagination, where Nicholas existed in all his perfect glory.

"Why so feisty, Red?" he countered, taking a step closer. With a firm resolve, I pressed my hands against his chest, creating a tangible barrier that prevented any further intrusion. A fleeting smirk danced upon his lips, swiftly replaced by a mask of confusion as he studied my face. "What's wrong?" I inquired, my eyes searching his.

I posed the question, my voice laced with a mix of frustration and curiosity. But instead of providing an answer, he tilted his head slightly and boldly ventured toward my neck. The moment the warmth of his breath caressed my skin, a shiver coursed through my body, leaving me paralyzed. Reacting on instinct, I summoned all my strength and pushed him away, though he barely budged. "What are you doing?" I demanded, my voice tinged with a mixture of apprehension and defiance.

"You smell different," he stated matter-of-factly, his words laced with both intrigue and confusion. "Huh?" I managed to utter, utterly bewildered by his unexpected revelation.

"Your scent used to be reminiscent of sweet strawberries, but now it has changed. It emanates a fiery heat, akin to peppercorn," he explained, his tone a blend of amusement and curiosity. My scent had changed?

Could it be because I had finally tapped into my powers? Perhaps I should discuss this with Uncle J.

Uncle J!

"Shit!" I exclaimed, my voice echoing through the room, startling Xavier, who quickly composed himself. I hadn't informed Uncle J about Gwen or the harrowing encounter with the bloodthirsty creature that had feasted on my very essence.

"Xavier..." I cautiously distanced myself from him, my hand reaching out to grasp the doorknob. "Can we continue this conversation later? I really need to get to class," I implored, my voice a mixture of urgency and determination.

"We don't have one until next period," he retorted swiftly, his gaze unwavering.

"Well... Then I'll just have to make a quick stop at the restroom," I offered another excuse, hoping it would buy me some time.

"Then I'll follow you," he declared, his hands slipping effortlessly into his pockets, a subtle display of dominance.

"Okay, what's your deal, Xavier?," I asserted, releasing my grip on the door and striding purposefully toward him. "Why did you drag me here? Haven't you learned anything from Aubrey's ordeal?" I folded my arms across my chest, awaiting his response. Yet, despite the intensity of my inquiry, he remained silent, his golden eyes fixed on me, as if they held a cryptic message waiting to be deciphered.

"Where were you yesterday after school?" His sudden question sliced through the air, catching me off guard. What was he trying to achieve?

"Why do you ask?" I replied, my voice laced with a tinge of caution as I tried my best to maintain a semblance of calmness. Xavier's inquiry had caught me off guard, and I needed to tread carefully.

"Because I searched for you, hoping we could study together, but I couldn't find my study partner," he explained, his gaze locked onto mine with an intensity that sent a shiver down my spine. There was something in his eyes, a flicker of determination mixed with curiosity, as if he were searching for some hidden truth within me. My mind raced, trying to piece together the implications of his words. "And Mr. Caddel disappeared at the same time," he added, the pieces of the puzzle starting to fall into place.