Chapter 47 : Reunions and Revelations

RED POV

I was relieved to see Uncle J standing there before me, despite the mixed emotions swirling inside me. His unexpected arrival meant that he was safe, and that was all that mattered. The thought of something bad happening to him had haunted me during my time in the clinic, and I couldn't shake off the worry that we hadn't bonded well since my arrival.

"Where have you been all this time?" My voice sounded cracked, like a broken glass, as I stared at Uncle J, confused about why it felt that way.

"How long was I asleep?"

"Three days," he replied, rising from his chair and pouring a glass of water for me. "You've been in a coma for the past three days, Red." He handed me the glass, and I quickly took it, drinking it down like a starved man in a deserted place.

"I'm sorry," I paused, staring at him, wondering why he was apologizing. It wasn't his fault that this happened.

"I knew they were out to get you, but I still left you anyway," he said, lowering his head with guilt written all over his face.

"You left for the right reasons. We both know that my being here is new to you, and you had to get some information about me from somewhere else, and it wasn't here," I assured him, nodding slowly. But he refused to look at me.

"You know, it was a nightmare staying here," I chuckled, sitting up from the bed. "I've been to this clinic so many times that I must have a world record for it." He laughed at my joke and finally looked at me.

"Really?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

I nodded. "Tell me everything then." He scooted closer to the side of the bed, eager to hear my story.

I relaxed for a moment, trying to recall the memories from the time he left, and then I began. I started from the moment I fell during Mr. Caddel's training, all the way to my revenge on Aubrey and ended with the strange crow encounter.

Uncle J's face displayed a mixture of emotions throughout the whole story. He seemed worried, happy, and angry, but mostly angry.

"Someone was there, Uncle J," I turned to him, my voice filled with a tinge of fear. "Someone stood there, watching as those crows died one by one, as though it knew it might happen."

"Are you sure?" he asked, his voice laced with concern.

"Yes," I replied firmly. "Did the person say anything?" he questioned.

My memory was blurred, and I couldn't remember most of the events that took place, but I could still recall the words.

"Till we meet again, Red Hathaway'," I stated, my voice trembling. The memory of that stare and the satisfaction on its face sent shivers down my spine. I couldn't call that person a human being because they were not.

Uncle J seemed lost in thought for a moment before he stood up abruptly and walked to the door. "Where are you going?" I asked, my voice filled with concern.

"To bring the reason why I left in the first place," he said, leaving me alone in the room.

I waited patiently for his return, my mind filled with anticipation. Suddenly, the door swung open, and I saw the people who surprised me the most.

My friends.

"Red!" they shouted, running towards me and enveloping me in a tight hug from both sides.

"Guys, I can't breathe," I managed to speak, trying to push them away. But I stopped when I saw Avery and Ana crying.

"Don't you dare leave us again, Red," Ana whined, squeezing my neck tightly with her hug.