Chapter 66

| RED'S POV |

The following day arrived quicker than expected, and everyone was on edge, especially for Ana. I had no inkling of the method by which my memories would be regained, but it continued to trouble her. Aunt May repeatedly implored me to reconsider, to let go of the past, but I simply couldn't.

I needed to hold onto fragments of myself, my parents, and astonishingly, this mysterious mate I had no knowledge of before. The dream about my mom and dad explaining the importance of a mate, along with Nicholas' account of his own mate, only heightened my curiosity about him.

What did it truly feel like to be with a mate?

Would he accept me now?

And how in the world would I explain to him that I had kissed another guy?

Nicholas.

I felt utterly foolish. We had kissed twice-twice! Avery had explicitly warned me to avoid such situations with him, I had tried, oh, how I had tried to resist the magnetic pull that drew me toward him. Yet, it was as if an invisible force enveloped me whenever he was near, rendering me powerless to resist. His very presence ignited a whirlwind of emotions within me-desire, longing, and an undeniable sense of enchantment. Each touch, each stolen gaze, felt like an electric current surging through my veins, leaving me breathless and yearning for more.

I shook my head, trying to forget those thoughts about Nicholas. Even though I didn't have a mate, he clearly loved his own. The way he talked about her during our date said it all - he cared deeply for her. But why he kept himself hidden from her didn't make any sense to me.

" Red, are you still thinking about tonight?" Xavier's voice, a soft whisper, caressed my ear like a gentle breeze. His tone betrayed a hint of concern, or perhaps my own perception colored it as such. He had insisted on being involved in everything, leaving me no choice but to confide in him about my memory loss and the existence of a mate. When I mentioned the latter, his reaction shifted subtly, though he attempted to conceal it.

"Yes," I replied, my gaze fixed on the chalkboard, ensuring that Uncle J didn't catch wind of our conversation. I had yet to inform him of Xavier's involvement, but I resolved to do so after class. It should be a simple task, right? After all, Xavier's mother held answers about my own mother, and something within me told me she possessed knowledge about the Dark Lord.

Just as I gathered the courage to believe that I could handle the situation, the world cruelly dashed my hopes. Nicholas entered the classroom, his presence commanding the attention of everyone, including Uncle J. There was an inexplicable difference about him today. His usually vibrant face appeared dull and worn, the air of seriousness and leadership that typically accompanied him seemed momentarily absent. He bore faint bags under his eyes, and yet, in spite of it all, he remained as handsome as ever.

I want to hug him.

He approached Uncle J, their whispered conversation capturing my attention. Uncle J's expression shifted into a heavy frown, indicating that the matter at hand might involve the Dark Lord. His gaze flickered briefly in my direction before he turned his attention back to the students. "I apologize, but class will be dismissed early today. I have received information regarding a serious matter, and I kindly request that you all proceed to your next classes," he announced.

Murmurs of surprise and curiosity rippled through the students as they dutifully gathered their belongings and filed out of the room. Xavier, too, made a move to leave, but I instinctively reached out, gripping his wrist firmly. His golden eyes met mine, confusion etched across his features, yet I remained silent, waiting for the last of the students to exit.