Chapter 68

| RED'S POV |

"We are at war," one of the elders declared, his voice carrying a weight of solemnity that filled the room. The atmosphere grew tense as the rest of the elders exchanged concerned glances, their furrowed brows reflecting the gravity of the situation. Arrayed alongside them were the guardians, stalwart and vigilant, their presence a testament to the imminent peril that loomed over them.

Except for one. Nicholas

"I know there have been rumors about the Coming of the Dark Lord, and I'm here to tell you that..." His words trailed off, a fleeting clench of his jaw betraying the turmoil within him. With a deep breath, he mustered the courage to reveal the dreaded truth. "It's true. The Dark Lord may indeed return."

Gasps, whispers, and murmurs erupted like a tempest among the students, their faces etched with a mix of disbelief and trepidation. " Please be quiet", Uncle J's voice sliced through the air, commanding silence. His stern gaze silenced the tumult, demanding attention and respect.

"I understand the fear and uncertainty that grips your hearts," The Elder began, his voice carrying a solemn weight. "But know this: we possess a formidable advantage, and we will wield it against the Dark Lord and those who seek to resurrect him."

A hushed unease settled over the gathering as doubts lingered in the minds of many. It was hard to believe the elders, for they had been accused of inaction, failing to prevent the merciless slaughter of innocent creatures. How could they stand against the Dark Lord when they seemed oblivious to the machinations of their own ranks? A nagging suspicion tugged at me, suggesting that there were traitors within, working in concert to orchestrate this malevolent scheme.

"That will be all," The Elder concluded, his voice tinged with a sense of urgency. "Those chosen by their guardians to fight in this war must remain vigilant. The time for action draws near, and we shall gather our forces."

With those words, he departed, the other elders following suit, leaving the guardians behind. A female guardian stepped forward, her demeanor mirroring that of a battle-hardened soldier preparing for the inevitable clash.

"You have heard the call," her voice rang out, firm and resolute. "To those chosen, gather your essential provisions. We are about to knock on the doors of our enemies." The gravity of her words hung in the air, resonating with the weight of the impending conflict.

As the crowd started to disperse, those who had been chosen lingered, engaged in conversations with their Guardians. I decided to separate myself from the group of guys who were deep in discussion about the situation, and instead made my way toward Uncle J, who was engrossed in conversation with one of the Guardians. As he noticed me approaching, he politely excused himself from the man and turned his attention to me. "I'm coming with you," I stated simply, but his reaction was far from positive. A deep frown creased his face.

"No," he replied firmly.

"Come on," I urged, rushing to catch up with him as he began walking away. "I have to go; they have Nicholas," I pleaded desperately, causing him to halt in his tracks and regard me with a mix of pity and disapproval. Ever since my memories had returned, thoughts of him consumed my entire being. I could vividly recall how he had cared for me as a child, always assuring me that I was special, waiting for me after school, and taking me to the mall to lift my spirits.

"And I need some answers from him. Uncle J, please let me be part of the plan," I implored. He pondered my request for a moment before finally nodding his head, granting me permission to accompany him. We made our way to his office, and he closed the door behind us. I gazed at his cluttered desk, noticing numerous scattered files strewn across its surface.